RIP Puddleduck

Daphne_loves_mealworms

Free Ranging
5 Years
May 13, 2018
Vermont
After 3 and 1/2 years it finally happened. We had a predator attack. I was at work, and my husband was loosely watching the ducks while they free-ranged. At 5:30 pm, he heard quacking and ran out. Puddleduck, who often runs off, was gone. There was no trace. There was a horrible storm soon after. He looked for hours with no success. She can’t fly and she is the duck with the fewest brain cells. I’m so upset. It was likely a fox or a bobcat. And now it will be back. And no one can ever free-range again. And I know it was stupid to think they would be ok. 3 and 1/2 years. I’m so sorry Puddles. I’m so sorry.

This was Puddles 2 days ago, a picture taken likely right next to where she passed.

Attachments

• AE233AE0-D1D6-42CC-B867-834E3A0181BF.jpeg
    AE233AE0-D1D6-42CC-B867-834E3A0181BF.jpeg
    826 KB · Views: 12
Thank you all. I woke up at first light and did more walking about in the hopes…well… the desperate hope that she’d just hunkered down for the storm. No Pudds. The others are safe in the barn. They mostly seem shaken, but it was also earlier than I would normally check on them. My white Muscovy is acting entirely normal, but she disliked Pudds. We’ve reviewed the cameras. No predators were seen yesterday before the attack. Puddles was on camera happily foraging inches from the barn less than 2 minutes before my husband heard quacking.
The cameras overnight show one house cat who is not a suspect. However, a different predator was also caught on camera in the wee hours of the AM - a Bobcat. Bingo. Rare to the area, but quick and stealthy. No one is leaving the barn today, and no one will ever free range without full direct supervision ever again. It breaks my heart as foraging is what they live for. They have a large duckio but it isn’t the same. Anyways, thank you again for your support.

I had a similar instance happen here after 4 yrs. Sorry for your loss. :hugs
I kept mine locked up for about a month before letting them back out unsupervised. I guess I'm taking a risk, but my ducks love the yard and would be miserable penned all day everyday. I just keep my fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom