RIP, Sweet Glenda

Thanks, all. With Ivy, Olivia and Ginger all expected to pass on soon, this was just out of the blue.

The others were already on the roost, with Isaac on the top rung. DH held her out to Isaac to see. He cocked his head, leaned toward her and the expression in his eyes was so somber. He knew this was bad. Amazing how expressive his eyes are. He looked at her then looked at me. The other girls turned their heads away, which was so interesting. I just wish I knew exactly what happened to her. She wasn't low in rank so can't imagine why any other hen would be hassling her on the roost. We already had a grave dug for Ivy so Glenda is resting under the white pine behind the garden now with the ones who went before her.

hugs.gif
I'm sorry, on top of everything else, this just sucks!

I still feel a bit shell-shocked, really. This is the first death for no discernible reason. Every other one had a cause I could pinpoint, most of them from internal laying, one heart defect, a couple from crop stasis from bad feed, but none for just no reason--her flying off the roost and hitting the wall is just a guess from where I found her laying and with all the others already roosting. She was just the sweetest hen, a real doll.

My little Show Off got hurt getting knocked off the roost by a bigger hen. Show Off always goes to bed first, she likes it next to the window no matter the temps. Buffy, the BO hopped up next to her and she fell off the roost and landed on a milk crate below and sprained a leg. She was lucky she didn't break her neck. The only reason I knew what happened was I had gone outside to make sure the gates were shut and I like to watch the girls troop in to bed, and the roos herding them there. I saw Red jump up and Show Off kind of swayed and when Buffy went up it knocked Show Off right off the bar.

My dear friend I am so so sorry.
hugs.gif
I know she will be missed around there without a doubt. RIP sweet Glenda

I can believe Isaac showing expression and understanding....I can also understand the girls' behavior. They say chickens are not smart, while this may be true of the ocassional knothead, I believe they are very smart and understand far more than they get credit for. Look how Lexie shadows Ivy when she is really down and we all know what happens when we lose one of the hierarchy...there is confusion and time to realize things are changing.

Hug Isaac tomorrow I am sure he will appreciate some loves from Mama.

Back
Top Bottom