RIR hen with blue feathers?

Cluckingtime

Songster
May 23, 2022
Central Maine
Her sister has no blue feathers at all.. does that mean she has another breed mixed in? It's kinda cool tho. Looks pretty šŸ˜

Attachments

• 20220707_194548.jpg
    20220707_194548.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 25
  • 20220707_194533.jpg
    20220707_194533.jpg
    568.9 KB · Views: 3
Her sister has no blue feathers at all.. does that mean she has another breed mixed in? It's kinda cool tho. Looks pretty šŸ˜

Black feathers sometimes look blue, green, or purple when the sun hits them.
No, it does not mean she has another breed mixed in.

I feel like the blue is a trait of it being a rooster but not sure
No, it definitely does NOT mean the chicken is a rooster. I've seen shiny feathers like that on plenty of hens.

Reminds me of a Buckeye. Are you sure its an RIR?
She and her sister came from tsc. I actually bought them out of a buff Orrington bin because I didn't know any better and they didn't say any dif lol they were part of the first 7 chix I bought.. her sister is a bit lighter and a bit fluffier. This one is darker with shinier feathers with the darker blue/black feathers. I'll try to get a pic of them together today

Reminds me of a Buckeye. Are you sure its an RIR?
Buckeyes have pea combs.
So unless that chicken has a pea comb, it is not a Buckeye.

There are quite a few red breeds that look a lot alike: Rhode Island Red, New Hampshire, Buckeye, Production Red, and some Red Sexlink hybrids. Other than Buckeyes having pea combs, there is no definitive way to sort them out, if they came from a mis-labeled bin. It comes down to shade of red, details of body shape, and guessing.

Buckeyes have pea combs.
So unless that chicken has a pea comb, it is not a Buckeye.

There are quite a few red breeds that look a lot alike: Rhode Island Red, New Hampshire, Buckeye, Production Red, and some Red Sexlink hybrids. Other than Buckeyes having pea combs, there is no definitive way to sort them out, if they came from a mis-labeled bin. It comes down to shade of red, details of body shape, and guessing.
Yes I know that's why I didn't say "it is a buckeye"-the coloring reminds me of one which makes me wonder if its an actual RIR. Also the personality seems not RIRish but I've only ever owned one (and never again haha). But all my Buckeyes were very friendly.

Back
Top Bottom