RIR - Roo or Hen

ParadiseChickens

Songster
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
87481_003.jpg

87481_004.jpg

These are 4 month old RIR and supposed to be pullets but I suspect the one in the 1st pic and the one in the foreground of the 2nd pic (same chick) is a roo. However his comb is not very red but his legs are very thick. Plus her/she is very aggressive. The little one in the 2nd pic is the same age and she is the runt of the bunch.

Please advise. I am not a very good picture taker. These are my first pics posted here on this board.

Last edited:
so far it still looks like a pullet to me. I have seen some pullets with thick legs on them, and have also had some that are way more mean than roosters..lol

Looks like a little Ms. Bossypants to me.

By 4 months, you'd be seeing some major comb growth in a roo.

I agree, they look like hens. Rooster's combs are usually redder. Rhode Island Reds are harder to tell. It is usually about 5 months old - they crow or lay an egg. Are the feathers on the rump more pointed or rounded? A pullet would be rounded while the rooster has more pointed.

Oh, I would love for them all to be pullets. I started out with 8 3 months ago and 3 have died in the last 2 weeks and I have one separated and am hand feeding it. If it doesnt get any better in another week, I believe we are going to have to make a hard decision and I will then only have 4 lonely chickens.

This one has a slightly pinker comb than my camera shows. But it sure doesnt look very big to me on a 4 month old chicken. But I am a new owner. Thank you all.

Back
Top Bottom