RiR Genders?

LilRedmamma

Songster
Apr 26, 2020
Kansas City, Mo
Wondering whether my 14 wk RiRs are each a roo and pullet? #1 @left is larger and tamer, both tails have pointy and rounded feathers. Their legs are a little different now, no crowing… #2 @right is the runt. Two 16 week old Smokey Pearls I paid $1 TSC mgr special, I bought together, one happened to be a roo, and instantly bonded with the RIR babies. I’ve since culled one, the SP hen after biting me several times. She had claimed four younger pullets as her flock, maybe just being possessive. Now the roo is with the 4 hens I bought from the SP batch @TSC. Mr Roo’s a bit aggressive too but tolerates me. He crows some, he’s not sure how? Lol
I got the RIRs for meat. My quandary is to keep one IF it’s a roo and cull the SP roo? The little RIRs are in their own pen now, much quieter except at bedtime when they struggle for a perch spot lol.
I would maybe let the RIR breed with one of the Plymouth Barred Rock hens in the future. Wish I hadn’t bought the SPs- whatever the heck their parents were, their genes picked up more negative traits than is advertised! Mr Roo is one hardcore ruler. Just my 2cents.
So? Thoughts on the little RiRs? Is one a roo? #3 pic is on their feet. Bottom pic is the runt (Mr Roo would not let it eat so I separated him from the babies to rule the hens his age). If turns out to both be hens, they’re destined for dinner 😍
Tia!
IMG_1437.jpeg IMG_1438.jpeg IMG_1439.jpeg IMG_1440.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom