1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RIR, Wyandotte, or EASTER EGGER???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 1 Bad Rotti, Nov 17, 2010.

1. 1 Bad Rotti

1 Bad Rotti Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    Can anyone help me decide between RIR, Wyandottes, and EE? I'm wanting a good layer first and foremost, friendly and hardy. I like all three breeds a lot but wanted to see if anyone could give me anymore advantages/disadvantages for these three? Also what about white leghorn??

2. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Why not get a little of all 3??

3. 1 Bad Rotti

Nov 1, 2010
    By the way, they will mainly be used for crossing with my nn, but I might keep some pure as well. Thanks

4. 1 Bad Rotti

Nov 1, 2010
    I would rather not have all three, I like to concentrate on fewer breeds.

5. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I personally love my EE's. They come in a variety of colors, and so do the eggs. Mine have been consistant layers and are some of my more friendly chickens. And I think it would be cool to have blue/green egg laying NN's! I do have a GLW and she is very pretty and sweet.

6. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    RIRs would be the best for egg production. Wyandottes and EEs are prettier, and the EE *usually* lay blue/green eggs. They are all docile and hardy. Egg production is the most important trait to me, so I would go with the RIR. [​IMG]

7. 1 Bad Rotti

Nov 1, 2010
    I've heard the RIR were bad to be aggressive and feather pickers, has anyone had that problem? Doesn't feather picking come from overcrowding? I would like to stay with dark eggs so the leghorn probably wouldn't be a wise choice.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    So, what confuses me here is that you say you want to focus on only so many breeds, but umm, Easter Eggers aren't a breed, and you're crossbreeding them anyway. . . So why not get them all? You'll have a variety of mutts in the end anyway. [​IMG]

9. 1 Bad Rotti

Nov 1, 2010
    Because I also said I might keep some pure and I might raise some "mutts" but I don't want ten different kinds of "mutts". I'm not gonna just throw a bunch of different breeds together and hope for the best, my goal is to improve the laying of my nn and do it with a breed that I could also keep pure. I want my nn and ONE other breed and their crosses, not 4 or 5 breeds and "mutts", as you call them.[​IMG]

10. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    I would advise staying away EEs if you want a "pure" breed since they are usually cross breeds. Easter Eggers often have Ameraucana blood in them to get the blue egg gene but the other part could be anything. Sometimes they are pure ameraucana with an unaccepted color or defect. If you want to introduce the blue egg gene find a breeder with Ameraucanas - don't order from a hatchery or you will likely get EEs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by