Roaming Dogs coming in and killing yesterday

Neighbor of mine in NM had sheep. Neighbor on the other side had a dog that got loose and chased the sheep. Sheep are very delicate creatures. If pregnant they can abort. If panicked they can just die. After sporting a bit the dog went home. The sheep owner went and knocked on the dog owner's door and told him what happened. The dog owner said, "Do what you gotta do." The sheep owner pulled out a gun and shot the dog dead.

I made sure my dogs NEVER left the yard.

You are absolutely within your rights. Legally and morally. If some random asshole dogs came into my yard and started killing my babies I'd kill 'em, no questions asked. You probably love those guineas just as much as the owner loves those dogs (if not more). It's not ok at all for them to come onto your property and kill your animals. That's insane to say that murdering your pets was fine, but it's not ok for them to be killed for it, along with the trespassing. I LOVE dogs, perhaps to an unhealthy level, but any animal, just like any person, has the potential to be an asshole, and I wouldn't hesitate to save my sweet babies from whatever was trying to hurt them. I am their momma, and I would die to save them (yes, I am an insane pet person to die for a chicken or a hamster, but that's who I am). Even if it was two of my own pets going against each other, I'd kill the aggressor to save the other if I had to. It would destroy me, but I'd do it.

And if my precious little dog trespassed into someone elses yard and murdered their pets and was killed for it, obviously I'd be horribly sad, but I wouldn't fault the person defending their pets. If my dog was in the wrong it'll have to face the consequences. It's on me for being a negligent owner and not taking better care of my dog/keeping it out of situations where it can get itself killed for following its less pleasant instincts.

I'd definitely post the law on your neighborhood forum and alert the authorities at this point, just because people are gonna be gunning for you now. But in the future, I agree with the poster who said to just kill them and dispose of the bodies without anybody knowing. Can't get sued if they just disappear and nobody ever knows what happened to them. Take the collars off. Dispose of them in a public trash can somewhere, and be done with it. The less law enforcement/lawyers/litigious people involved the better.

Neighbor of mine in NM had sheep. Neighbor on the other side had a dog that got loose and chased the sheep. Sheep are very delicate creatures. If pregnant they can abort. If panicked they can just die. After sporting a bit the dog went home. The sheep owner went and knocked on the dog owner's door and told him what happened. The dog owner said, "Do what you gotta do." The sheep owner pulled out a gun and shot the dog dead.

I made sure my dogs NEVER left the yard.
The sheep owner shot the dog on the spot back at the dog's house? Geez. I mean, I get it, but if it was home again and nothing bad happened to any of the sheep (no spontaneous abortions or deaths) I'd at least give the owner a chance to keep the dog at home.

The sheep owner shot the dog on the spot back at the dog's house? Geez. I mean, I get it, but if it was home again and nothing bad happened to any of the sheep (no spontaneous abortions or deaths) I'd at least give the owner a chance to keep the dog at home.
I've given my neighbor a few second and third chances but when she heard the shotgun blast (I purposely missed high), she took my warnings more seriously. She said, "what do you want me to do?" I said, "I want you to keep your dogs on your property"!
In the eyes of legislators, if a dog attacks livestock once, they'll do it again and that livestock are a person's livelihood while there is no shortage of dogs.

I think the majority of people think of Livestock, or domestic animals as I would prefer to call them, as inconsequential. I love every one of my chickens (even though I have a couple of A-hole roos) with all my heart as I do my dogs. They all have names, they all have been hand raised by me and if one gets sick, we are off to the vet.

Obviously the people who think I’m a horrible person have never lived on a farm and raised these type of animals. So they are horrified that I would consider shooting their little sweethearts.

Last edited:
I had an incident where a neighbors dog jumped their fence and and then mine and attacked my chickens. Luckily the dog only pulled a few feathers out of them and none were killed, but that dog would not leave them alone no matter what we did to restrain it. If we didn’t finally manage to kennel it, yes we would have shot it because it began to nip and then bite us. The neighbors got rid of the dog almost immediately after the incident. Where I live, if a dog kills a cat or even another dog, it’s taken by animal control and put down.

My husband and I were riding our horses in Norco. Just as we came even with a house across the street, the screen door slammed open and a young pitbull came charging across the street at us. It attacked both of our horses who were tripping around on concrete. Luckily neither bolted, reared or kicked but their good manners made them almost helpless. The owner was trying to catch the dog from under our horses. It seemed to take forever. After he caught the dog and put it away he came back to see about our horses. I yelled at him off and on for an hour i think. He offered to pay our vet bill and did to the penny. My husband's gelding was bitten on the leg and the penis sheath. Fortunately both wounds healed perfectly. He also sent the dog to live somewhere besides an equestrian community the very next day. If only every dog owner was that responsible!

My husband and I were riding our horses in Norco. Just as we came even with a house across the street, the screen door slammed open and a young pitbull came charging across the street at us. It attacked both of our horses who were tripping around on concrete. Luckily neither bolted, reared or kicked but their good manners made them almost helpless. The owner was trying to catch the dog from under our horses. It seemed to take forever. After he caught the dog and put it away he came back to see about our horses. I yelled at him off and on for an hour i think. He offered to pay our vet bill and did to the penny. My husband's gelding was bitten on the leg and the penis sheath. Fortunately both wounds healed perfectly. He also sent the dog to live somewhere besides an equestrian community the very next day. If only every dog owner was that responsible!
Wow! You are very lucky you weren’t all seriously injured. And yes, that is definitely a responsible owner that knew the dog was in the wrong type of area and took action. We all love our dogs but need to be cognizant that they are predatory animals and have killer instincts.

Our neighbor at our previous house has a little Maltese dog that gets out of their yard constantly and kills rabbits...like it is seriously a vicious rabbit killer. She thinks it funny and eggs him on to kill every rabbit and baby bunny he can. And she doesn’t even garden so it’s not like the rabbits are destroying anything. She just likes him to kill rabbits.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom