Rocky-Wry Neck-Relapse

CaradineCousins

Songster
6 Years
Dec 29, 2015
Birmingham Alabama
So we are on one week of treatment on days 4-6 he was getting so better holding his head up most of the day pecking at food acting normal I told my hubby that if he's still this way I'll consider putting him back in the brooder with his brother and another mate. Well on day 7 all that praise went away he is now worse then day 1 it seems every time i think he's progressing the next day bam worse, the twist now has went to the other side and he spins around. When he pecks he has a couple of dizzy spells then rights himself and back to eating. I've read on Google that with wry neck sometimes it gets worse before he gets better i'm hoping this is the case. I am so attached to him. We live in Birmingham, Alabama and I don't think Newcastle's Disease is here i have done a search and not found anything. Usually when his head is hanging I can prop him up and feed him with a spoon today he ain't having that, all he wants to eat is eggs and not his mash. I couldn't finish breakfast with him he was just all over the place so I'm waiting an hour and going to retry. He is getting 400 iu's vitamin E 2 times a day, vitamin b complex water as much as I can get him to swallow (I mix it in his mash) scramble eggs for the selenium. I clean out his brooder 2 times a day. I don't keep water in there because he spills it everywhere and I'm afraid with his head hanging he might drown. But before he got worse I was leaving in and he wasn't having an issue. I feed every 4 hours and take him out every 2 hours to see if he will drink water(s). Rocky is 4 weeks old Salmon Faverolle...He is still fighting.

We've had wry necked babies at hatch but they always recovered and never relapsed. I'm so sorry your little one is going through this :( I'm trying to remember what we fed ours when they were really struggling. Pretty sure it was a mix of plain yogurt, water, and a multi liquid vitamin without iron. Assuming that you are indeed dealing with wry neck, perhaps s/he just needs a little more time...or, requires something else in liquid multis that s/he isn't currently getting. I had a pigeon I found years ago... couldn't stand or walk or keep it's head up. Just flopped into things. I suspected impact with vehicle or mareks or something else. Wasn't sure but I brought it home. Fed it the combo mentioned above and then slowly started adding chicken feed and holistic antivirals/fungals/-bacterials to the mix. It took weeks but he recovered fully. I admit, I was shocked. He was so bad when I found him, I didnt think he had much of a chance. If I were you, I'd find a liquid multi w/o iron and also an organic plain yogurt (conventional brands often have aspartame or other ingredients you want to avoid in this case). Mix in a little bottled water and feed with a dropper. See if that doesn't help the chick a little. If not, I'd lean towards neurological issues since infection would seem improbable at this age if they're isolated and the other chicks are fine. Keep this thread posted with how things go!

Ty Renk Rocky was a day late hatching and his brother came first and is doing great. Rocky has always been small and had a very mild case of splay leg that I did a hobble but I used red scrunch and didn't realize the other chicks would attack so I took it off gave poultry cell water and within a few weeks he was fine still is in that dept. I was so happy that he made it to a week old then 2 then 2 days before 3 weeks this happened. I just bought some tuna in water i'm going to give that a try. He loves scramble eggs i tried mixing with applesauce he didn't take it. I am afraid to have to much selenium or to much Vitamin E i don't want to overdose him. Ive tried spinach smoothie nope doesn't like it. But anyways thanks for responding and I will always post on his updates

He is getting 400 iu's vitamin E 2 times a day, vitamin b complex water as much as I can get him to swallow (I mix it in his mash) scramble eggs for the selenium
I would only give him 400IU Once a day. Give him 1/4 tablet B-Complex. Plain water to drink.

Can you get some photos of his eyes and face?
You have several threads about Rocky, so it's hard to read all of them and look at every video/photo.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rocky-spinning-video.1386124/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rocky-regressed-oh-no.1384525/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wry-neck-update-rocky-thrives.1384063/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-is-this.1383346/page-2
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wry-neck.1382108/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wry-neck.1381315/

Mostly because I have trouble finding it again, his eye is healed and no problems seeing it’s just this spinning right now but usually it happens when I pick him up and set him down he does good one day the relapses for two

Mostly because I have trouble finding it again, his eye is healed and no problems seeing it’s just this spinning right now but usually it happens when I pick him up and set him down he does good one day the relapses for two
You don't notice anything wrong with his eyes?

Picking up and putting him down must be disorienting him.
The only thing you can try is to continue with the vitamins for a little while longer.
Sadly some chicks fail to thrive.

To find your threads, you can click on your name that will drop down a menu of sorts, then select "your content". Hopefully that will make it easier to find your threads.

I'm sorry he's not improving.

I was just going to suggest the same about finding your content. I've noticed a drop in responses as well...in the past, any thread seemed to get a decent amount of activity but with so many new people getting chickens and needing help, I think a lot aren't getting any. In my case, I'm just posting updates on gender suspicions right now so it's no big deal... I'm doing it more for others down the road to have a reference if they happen to get the same breeds at a similar age. But in your case, I can understand why it's so disappointing not to get feedback .Glad to see WyorpRock respond. I agree with you that seller's feed/environment is probably the issue. We've only hatched a couple times. But I noticed something interesting with the one hatch. Some eggs were hatched from birds fed our regular food. But we ran out and our shipment took longer than usual so I had to run to the store for another brand. We typically feed soy-free (I believe soy can interfere with nutrient absorption) but the bag I picked up had soy. Our regular feed we ferment for nutritional benefits but the new feed was crumbles so we just fed it dry. We continued to collect eggs to incubate while feeding the new food. I marked the eggs so that I'd know which were older in the incubator (they had names because they started out in my shirt). All the eggs hatched but my 2 wry babies were surprisingly not the ones that spent their first days in my bra but rather, the ones from eggs from hens that were eating the new feed that contained soy. This isn't to debate soy since many successfully raise chicks/chickens on soy feed. But for us, I wondered if a difference in nutrition was why some chicks fared better than others. In your case, you're having issues with so many do I'd suspect the seller's hens aren't getting the proper nutrition for one reason or another. Or perhaps the shipping contributed? Maybe I just lucked out with the eggs that spent their first days in my bra. I wish i knew what to tell you regarding your little chick. At this point, I'd lean towards motor/neurological issues and not wry neck but no clue how to treat that. I'd keep making a liquid mash in blender and hand feeding with a dropper as I did for the pigeon I had that flopped and couldn't stand or aim for food. He ate like Hei Hei. And he pulled through so I'm crossing my fingers for your little guy. Wish I had more to offer ❤

He’s better fuzz coming back he really only goes in fits when he gets a big piece of egg in his beak. He’s been eating dry food for 4-5 days but I haven’t seen him drink. So I’m still doing wet mash and he has water available. He’s growing

Back
Top Bottom