Roo Attacked! (With Nasty Pictures!)

That is why he needs to be in a mostly dark area. It will make him want to be still and sleep. He will be upset at first, but after a few minutes of dark he should be calm. And if he can't see or hear the girls he will stay more calm.

Okay, of course, that makes sense. Do I just leave him in the dark for a couple of days to a week then?

This is not the most ideal way to have to introduce yourself on here with an injury, but glad you are here and we can help.
smile.png

Well that wasn't exactly my ideal plan..... :) I don't normally have a whole lot of time to spend online but I do pretty much just enjoy reading other people's posts. I normally kind of stay in the background.

Quote:
I personally would. If you need to put him with the others then spray some Blukote on it. It stains bad so wear junk clothes. It is supposed to keep the others from finding the wounds to pick at. Many use it with great success. I have a grow-out/infirmary tractor I can use for this purpose. I built it with left over wood and fencing, cost me very little. Maybe something to think about in the future. But otherwise you are doing the right things. Did you read the link I gave ya? That helped me a lot.

Thank you so much for all the info and support! I am feeling a little more confident now. My only concern now though is the separating him part. From what I've seen, the girls have not been pecking at him at all. And he very much has to be with them. When they're out roaming and he can't see them all, he kinda freaks. I'm worried taking him away from them may be more stress to him than leaving him in there. Has anyone else seen this in their flock?
I would be worried about leaving him out where he can get chilled and dirty. Keeping him warm enough is very important. Could you bring a nice hen in to keep him company?

One last post for tonight... Get a baseline weight and temperature. Then take his temp and weigh him at the same time every day. Watch for weight loss and elevated temp. Hopefully you'll not have to worry and he'll make a full recovery.

I personally would. If you need to put him with the others then spray some Blukote on it. It stains bad so wear junk clothes. It is supposed to keep the others from finding the wounds to pick at. Many use it with great success. I have a grow-out/infirmary tractor I can use for this purpose. I built it with left over wood and fencing, cost me very little. Maybe something to think about in the future. But otherwise you are doing the right things. Did you read the link I gave ya? That helped me a lot.

I did read everything everyone posted! Very helpful and I appreciate it. We have iodine on hand so I've been using that. Brought him inside and he's in our backroom in a cage all nice and dark with some electrolytes and some hard boiled eggs. But I guess my next question is- how in the world do I get ahold of him to be able to actually touch his wounds. Catching him in the coop was a fiasco- he is a typical stubborn rooster. There's no way I'll be able to hold on to him to fix up his wounds without him causing more damage to himself.

Back
Top Bottom