Roo behavior?

CheriK

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 4, 2012
Northern California
One of our (sexed, of course
barnie.gif
) 6-week old chicks started crowing on Friday. S/he has been the dominant in our group of 6-7 week old chicks and has been growing rapidly but otherwise doesn't show any other overtly "boy" appearance differences. Except the crowing. Loudly. Frequently. We can't keep a rooster where we live, so are in the process of looking for a home since my kids are terrified that "Lucy", now renamed Luke, will become Sunday dinner.

This evening they dumped their water over in their freshly cleaned cage, so I was pulling out wet shavings and he started attacking me. Pill! I know roos can be aggressive, but at 6 weeks?!? Any ways to discourage such behavior, especially since we'd like to find him a long-term home? (I can see the ad - free to good home: Nasty young rooster)

Sometimes the dominant hen of a flock will start demonstrating characteristics of a rooster. I found an old thread discussing some other people's hens that started crowing. You probably won't know for sure until it starts laying.

I have 2 hens that crow. They are 4 years old. They also run the coop. I have never been attacked by them tho. Otherwise they turn into dinner. We don't tolerate people aggressive animals due to having small kids around.

Although many ppl are raising their chicks for eggs or pets; I too agree with you, Swissmiss989. Any ppl aggressive animal has no place with my family, with my child. I will try my best to change this behavior before making other measures.

Yes, I know sometimes a dominant hen will crow, but really what are the chances of that? Most likely, it's a rooster. This is a 6-week old chick, they are just starting to show dominance behavior. Anyone know how often a really young hen will crow? Probably we just got "lucky" with that 90-95% confidence on sexed chicks. Should have bought a lottery ticket instead of a chick that day!

I have not been backing off when he tries to attack, picking him up and moving him so I can do whatever I need to do (he's pulled this 3 times now in the last 24 hours). Since he's small, it's not as if he can hurt anyone! I'm really wondering if there is any way to discourage the aggressive behavior. We won't be keeping a rooster (we can't) but it will be easier to find a home if he's not attacking everyone. And I totally agree, aggressive animals are gone. Small kids here also, but even without kids around there are plenty of good-natured, friendly animals that don't have homes to tolerate potentially dangerous behavior. Although I don't put a rooster in the same category as, say, a dog. But I haven't been around an aggressive adult roo, either, so maybe I'll change my mind
roll.png

yippiechickie.gif
Don't Laugh at me.. But I swear this works Take Him / her and hold both of her feet and hang her upside down for a minute and use your I am the Big Hen around here Voice .. I swear you wont have to do it more than twice in my experience. I Know ......... I Know ..... Crazy but I think sometimes with some Especially Roos you Have to show them who is boss. And it doesn't hurt them .. Actually calms them .. OK Last bit of advice .. Look for surveillance Cameras neighbors or any other Eye Witness's Before Doing so .. We chicken Lovers need to try and hide the Insanity To many People already think we are crazy .. And Yes I am serious

In the end, whether a rooster or hen that crows, you are likely to get complaints from the neighbors. There is probably a nuisance clause in the chicken laws somewhere in there in addition to a rooster clause. You might check. Even if not and your chick is just a gal you will be making enemies of your neighbors if she is too noisy.

Corrine -
lol.png
. Actually, close to what I did this morning, laying him on his back and holding him until he settled down. I've also been using what I call my Dominant Dog voice (ah, dog behavior I know how to manage) and growling at him when he pecks. Gotta show these boys who is boss, right?!?

SweetSilver- yes, definitely. Our law doesn't have a nuisance clause in it, but I know that's the spirit of the law & I plan on following that. I don't think most folks particularly care if the crowing at 5am is from an egg-layer or not, they just don't want to deal with it. Actually, I know my direct neighbors wouldn't care, but not sure about the people behind me. And since we can't physically obey part of the law (coop has to be 40ft from a residence, impossible in our back yard), I don't want the chicken police showing up at my house!

Yes I Believe in being the Queen of My Castle and Head of the Hen house.. But i am telling you full upside down by his legs (it was told to me by an old Farmer and it works lol .. Good Luck with the crowing ..

Back
Top Bottom