Roo of the White Ear Lobes

klb25

Songster
Jul 28, 2021
Middle Tennessee
I got this pretty boy over the summer. He hit puberty a few weeks ago so his new crow is funny, and his ear lobes have gotten more white. He scared something away from the coop last week so he's doing well so far!

Attachments

• IMG_20211103_183413_225.jpg
    IMG_20211103_183413_225.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 4
Where did you get it? He has a lot of red jungle fowl characteristics. Feather color, comb, white ear lobes, perhaps truncated call.
We got him at a local livestock auction in Middle Tennessee, along with two pullets.

He's my first rooster. I'm curious about the truncated call you mentioned. Does it usually take a while for a roo's crow to sound more like that stereotypical cockadoodledoo? His does sound a bit different.

Where did you get it? He has a lot of red jungle fowl characteristics. Feather color, comb, white ear lobes, perhaps truncated call.
Out of curiosity, I pulled up YouTube videos of red jungle fowl crows. That sounds like him!

Here's a better photo of him with the two pullets.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211123-062734_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20211123-062734_Instagram.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 3
There are a lot of similar birds in our neighorhood but very few of them have the white ear lobes. Next fall watch to see if it developes an eclipse plumage. It's another trait that modern chickens have lost.

Also search for photos of RGF hens. They look similar to yours, but with more streaking.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom