Roo Right? One more

It's hard to see the comb on the first one, so it's hard to say. I'm leaning towards pullet (though the red feathers coming in on the wings are suspicious), but without more pictures it's difficult to say either way.

Second one is almost certainly a cockerel. Neat-looking fellow, though!
smile.png

Quote:
Yeah he's a cutie, but if that first one is indeed a pullet and I want more, do I need to keep this other one or would breeding to a black AM take all the barring away? I want more owls and I need to find out how to do it.

I have 2 girls that look very similiar to your 1st picture. The momma is a BR and the dad is a Delaware.

The second picture looks like a possible roo. The comb looks different than what mine look, but mine have single combs and not the rose comb like an EE does.

Thery are both pretty birds BTW

Thank you.

I do need to find out if using a black roo with get rid of the barring though.

I want more barred ones and would rather rehome the roos at this point. I have way to many roos and prefer to keep only the pure bred ones.

The second one is a definite cockerel, and will be a pretty golden duckwing color.

The first one is also a cockerel, and very pretty! It has red on the wings and I can already see tiny little hackles forming up at the top of the neck.

Quote:
well, Delaware are half BR making the offspring 3/4 and giving the females a 50/50 chance of being barred. if the daddy didn't have BR blood, there is no chance the female offspring will be barred.

Illa I was waiting for your experience and knowledge.

Guess I re home these also.

The older one that was obvious was so beautiful. I wish I had taken pics of him now.The second one looks like he may get those same wing colors, so maybe the 1st one will too.

I just can't get pullets out of anybody around here lately. Maybe I'll have some luck with my NYs hatch.

In a way this is much better, since I will only have my 6 project birds after this and then all pure from here on out.

Good Bye my little owls!

Quote:
well, Delaware are half BR making the offspring 3/4 and giving the females a 50/50 chance of being barred. if the daddy didn't have BR blood, there is no chance the female offspring will be barred.

Wow I didn't know that Delaware are part BR. I understand all the barring now. I still have alot to learn about what produces what. But it makes sense. My girls barring is thinner than the BR mom is. But they are both girls and have the barring just a little thinner than the BR. I would think that if the dad was a RIR/Red Star dad their coloring would be totally different. Right?

Back
Top Bottom