hhouck514

Songster
Nov 4, 2018
OR
What would you recommend that I use for the roof of a chicken run? Would a UV treated netting work well? I have some chicks coming from Cackle Hatchery later this week, and I will be building a coop/run for them soon. I need to use something that can keep flying bantams in, but also keep birds of prey out. Thanks in Advance!

Last edited:
It keeps other animals out like I said in my previous post. There are more worrisome animals than hawks.
I agree, but that's not what the OP asked about. And even so, I wouldn't recommend HWC. Welded wire comes in smaller meshes, too, like 1/2 X 1, 1 X 1, 1 X 2, is easier to work with than HWC and is heavier gauge (thicker) than HWC. Lots of folks seem to think HWC is the holy grail. I'm not one of them.

Those gaps are still far too large. A raccoon can grab through and still kill a chicken with welded wire.

A raccoon will not be grabbing a chicken thru the roof of the run. There is no reason why a chicken would be within grabbing distance of the roof of a run, especially during the prime raccoon/ground based predator hours. We are talking about a roof, not a wall at ground level. Since they say their goal is to keep birds in and hawks out, the wider spaced and thicker/heavier wire is the way to go for at least 4 reasons I can see. First, thicker wire will last longer. Second, price will be the same, if not slightly cheaper. Third, easier to work with. Fourth, leaves and other stuff falls thru a lot easier, so makes maintenance easier. Also snow....they live in Oregon, so most likely get a little snow. Or a lot. Depends on which side of the mountains. A roof of hardware cloth will hold snow like a sold roof would. But will be weaker.

I echo what @imnukensc said in their post in regards to hardware cloth being fabulous in general, but not the needed/prefered choice for a ROOF to a run.... "I agree, but that's not what the OP asked about."

You’ll want hardwire cloth. Animals can’t chew through it. And yes, raccoons and foxes and coyotes can climb. Use 6inches of hardwire mesh around the run and coop too.
I have always used at least 6 inches, and even up to a foot, of hardware cloth around the ground of any fencing around the coop after watching the flock peck the be-gee-bers out of a black snake that was caught in the chicken wire by the egg it had swallowed hole. This past week I have also laid the same amount around the coop flat on the ground after noticing that something was trying to dig under the wire as well.

Ok Ill chime in because I have both and live in your neck of the woods...sorta. I have two connecting runs one is a solid roof the other is cattle panels with hardware cloth over it. So I realize your concern is overhead predators but in the long run I wish I just made both runs with a solid roof, metal, wood/shingle whichever. What happened with my non solid roof side is sure its lovely when its sunny and dry but then comes rain and snow. And with rain and snow comes mud, lots of mud. So in order to try to keep that side dry I covered it with plastic this winter, good idea, right? .....nope, the plastic holds the snow which gets heavy and bends the cattle panels....:he so you know what I did? Propped the roof up with 2x4's and then closed off that side of the run for the winter...yup, not even using it. So my suggestion if you can swing it is just do it correctly from the beginning and add a solid roof of any kind with enough slope for snow to slide off. Protects from predators and keeps your run nice and dry, but I know cost is a factor so this may not work for you. just my thoughts and good luck!

I have had inexpensive bird netting over my 1000 sq ft run for about 3 years. It is like stretchy fabric, and easy to install (w 2 people). I have stretched it over a 25' span with no problem. It has held up to snow, ice, and stuff falling on it, cat walking on it etc.
netting2 (3 of 1).jpg

ice net expanse (3 of 1).jpg second pic shows it coated w ice. Sagging a little, but it bounces back.

Back
Top Bottom