I agree, but that's not what the OP asked about. And even so, I wouldn't recommend HWC. Welded wire comes in smaller meshes, too, like 1/2 X 1, 1 X 1, 1 X 2, is easier to work with than HWC and is heavier gauge (thicker) than HWC. Lots of folks seem to think HWC is the holy grail. I'm not one of them.

Those gaps are still far too large. A raccoon can grab through and still kill a chicken with welded wire.

@hhouck514 To answer your question better, here's some questions for you.

1. What kind of wire are you using for your run, besides the roof?
2. Are you just looking for protection for daytime run use?
3. Will your chickens be locked up every night inside the coop?
4. How much snow do you get?
5. How big is your run going to be?

A raccoon certainly can't grab a chicken through the roof of a run. However, the question was about what to cover the run with. Welded wire would be fine but one of my suggestions was bird netting for hawks. A raccoon can rip through that and be on the ground inside in no time.
If the roof is partially open, the birds will still need to be locked in the coop at night. Any opening, no matter how high is not safe.
I've walked out after dusk to find a family of coons coming down from a tree onto the roof of a run and had the chickens not been locked in the coop, they would have been in there because there were openings in the top of the chain link run.

If the main concern is birds of prey then netting is fine, far easier to use and cheaper than wire mesh.

Depending on how much snowfall you get, snow may or may not be an issue with netting. Normally snow isn't an issue for me but with the storms this year it did build up even though we have 2" openings in our netting. It all held up fine but we did have to go knock some of it off just to reduce the snow load a bit.

I like having a super secure run and coop (so solid roof or strong wire) but access to a large run during safer daylight hours is good, and often this larger section of run can't be covered in wire or roof.

In my larger less secure runs I have been happy with fish net from deep sea fishing boats, EXCEPT for the snow problem.

But in deep winter I usually close off the less secure runs anyway.

The thinner fishnets are harder for the raptors to see... so I have had 2 try to dive through. The one popped right through (but the force of the dive was reduced enough that the chicken was fine), and I had one bald eagle not make it through, but get tangled.

I have found that if I keep bits of surveyor's tape (or anything flashing and flapping) tied every so often on the top net, that works better and none of the raptors (and I have falcon's, hawks, eagles.... so many) try to get through or get tangled.

So.... I can get the fishnet for free since I live near a coastal fishing town... but it works well for daytime, light, protection.

No, do not trust it at night.

And to save fences and gates...take it down before the snows come (if you get snow)

I have 200 square feet of black UV netting that I got at tractor supply on my run. It is wired down and tie strapped to the chain link fence.

I am on 5 acres. I have not had any issues. Knock on wood..it is sealed off.
Keep in mind I lock my birds up at night and my coops is rock solid and predator proof. I am also way away from the tree line. My only concerns during the day in this location is hawks and my roof is sealed tight. If I was close to the woods I would be concerned about coons at dusk for sure. Coons are very Crafty with their hands.

Back
Top Bottom