Roof suggestions?

southern chooks

Chirping
Apr 18, 2019
Georgia
I have been all over the place trying to figure out how to construct a roof for this. I HATE the tarp. Whenever it rains(frequently here in GA), the water pools up on the top. I currently have a board standing on its small side to create a slope. Not working well. I want to make a wooden roof with either shingles or tin. Preferably only sloping in one direction. Also, I’ll be putting this up on cinder blocks soon to make it taller so I need the roof done before then. Pictures of my current setup are attached. Suggestions? Plans? Anything?

Attachments

• 937DAB3E-35D5-4D17-8C5B-2D625D6C62F7.jpeg
    937DAB3E-35D5-4D17-8C5B-2D625D6C62F7.jpeg
    392.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 4CD00F97-7350-4C8B-ACC0-D4CD286CCD8F.jpeg
    4CD00F97-7350-4C8B-ACC0-D4CD286CCD8F.jpeg
    970.2 KB · Views: 15
  • DFABFBBF-BCE8-46DF-B836-EF60AC7277FD.jpeg
    DFABFBBF-BCE8-46DF-B836-EF60AC7277FD.jpeg
    676.7 KB · Views: 13
Good, that will be easier to build onto!

I'm not sure the overall dimensions, but it doesn't look too large. I would determine which way you want the roof to slope, you don't want all the water to run off one side and then because of the slope of the ground it all just runs into the run anyway. The low side of the roof should also be on the low side of the ground.

Do a google image search on "how to frame a pergola" and you will get lots of good and relatively simple pictures of how to frame a roof that just slants to one side. Essentially you are going to have to frame it in a way to make one side of your run 6 to 12 inches higher than it already is. Your roof won't need to support much weight, but will need to withstand the elements and you don't want it to sag in the middle and allow water to collect all over again, so even though it's just a chicken run, it should be framed in a similar manner to any shed/pergola/house. Once you frame it, you can easily cover it with plywood and shingles or tin or corrugated greenhouse plastic.

It is 7ft by 5.6ft. How do you suggest I make one side of it higher? I was thinking about the front being the highest and the back being the lowest

It is 7ft by 5.6ft. How do you suggest I make one side of it higher? I was thinking about the front being the highest and the back being the lowest
I'd make it so the runoff goes away from the house....
...but look at the ground, where will the water run away from the coop and house and AC unit?

I'd make it so the runoff goes away from the house....
...but look at the ground, where will the water run away from the coop and house and AC unit?
Oh! Forgot to mention that. I’m going to be moving it as well. I was thinking I’d push the back up against this wall

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    985.8 KB · Views: 10
Oh! Forgot to mention that. I’m going to be moving it as well. I was thinking I’d push the back up against this wall
Against what looks like a stone wall covered with ivy...that the poultry netting goes around the end of?

Kind of confusing what is front/back etc.

Against what looks like a stone wall covered with ivy...that the poultry netting goes around the end of?

Kind of confusing what is front/back etc.
Yes, it is a brick wall with creeping jenny(?). I am rotating it the way the blue arrow points and then pushing it against the wall where the red arrow points. In the end it should be about where the green line is. The current front will still be the front

Attachments

• B817EFC2-4175-4B8F-9294-19A29D6564B1.jpeg
    B817EFC2-4175-4B8F-9294-19A29D6564B1.jpeg
    949.3 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom