Roof vents

Lisawbsn

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
We are completing a 7x7 resin shed coop conversion and are having a debate about types of roof vents. I am leaning towards whirlybirds husband is thinking static that my plan is overkill. I have adequate venting for air intake with roof vent but not enough as a stand alone solution. I think that I need to pull air through not just let it drift out. Thoughts? I will be housing 10 girls, 8x8 attached run with Omlet auto door. We live just south of Chicago for reference. Roof is sloped front to back.

Plastic sheds are notoriously difficult to adequately vent -- 1 square foot per adult, standard-sized hen. Since your shed is 7x7, that's 49 square feet, suitable for up to 12 hens, you need to be putting in 12 square feet of ventilation. The goal is to have the temperature and humidity the same inside and out.

I don't really know how much air whirlybirds are likely to be pulling, but I'm a big fan of Monitors. This article includes making and installing a monitor on a resin shed: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-scoop-on-a-rubbermaid-big-max-coop.76444/

Would you like to share some photos of your ongoing conversion?

Also, where, in general, are you? Climate matters, particularly with chicken housing. Here in the Steamy Southeast the first thing I'd do with a resin shed would be to completely replace the doors with wire, but that wouldn't be appropriate in cold-winter climates. :)

We are completing a 7x7 resin shed coop conversion and are having a debate about types of roof vents. I am leaning towards whirlybirds husband is thinking static that my plan is overkill. I have adequate venting for air intake with roof vent but not enough as a stand alone solution. I think that I need to pull air through not just let it drift out. Thoughts? I will be housing 10 girls, 8x8 attached run with Omlet auto door. We live just south of Chicago for reference. Roof is sloped front to back.
Once you add nesting and food/water (if in coop), you might be tight for space.

Plastic sheds are notoriously difficult to adequately vent -- 1 square foot per adult, standard-sized hen. Since your shed is 7x7, that's 49 square feet, suitable for up to 12 hens, you need to be putting in 12 square feet of ventilation. The goal is to have the temperature and humidity the same inside and out.

I don't really know how much air whirlybirds are likely to be pulling, but I'm a big fan of Monitors. This article includes making and installing a monitor on a resin shed: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-scoop-on-a-rubbermaid-big-max-coop.76444/

Would you like to share some photos of your ongoing conversion?

Also, where, in general, are you? Climate matters, particularly with chicken housing. Here in the Steamy Southeast the first thing I'd do with a resin shed would be to completely replace the doors with wire, but that wouldn't be appropriate in cold-winter climates. :)
Just south of Chicago. Thought we could keep the windows off and cover with hardware cloth but 1 rainy day without more than a breeze resulted in standing water inside.

Attachments

• CF1F6DBD-252E-411F-8BE1-99FAA1542CB4.jpeg
    CF1F6DBD-252E-411F-8BE1-99FAA1542CB4.jpeg
    28.5 KB · Views: 7
Just south of Chicago. Thought we could keep the windows off and cover with hardware cloth but 1 rainy day without more than a breeze resulted in standing water inside.

You'll need to add awnings to those.

I put some very basic and rednecked awnings on my Outdoor Brooder:

cover-image

This person made better-looking awnings on this coop: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/check-out-my-chicken-tractor.1456418/page-2#post-24496139

You can also use top-hinged windows to provide additional venting.

Current progress. Of course it starts to rain every time we start working.

Attachments

• ED6F26C7-CA53-400C-9B8F-9E5EE78C8FE1.jpeg
    ED6F26C7-CA53-400C-9B8F-9E5EE78C8FE1.jpeg
    955.3 KB · Views: 9
  • EDA0729F-86DA-493B-845F-6A649515ABF8.jpeg
    EDA0729F-86DA-493B-845F-6A649515ABF8.jpeg
    440.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 88566F13-9C82-49EC-B654-D6B4E111FB9A.jpeg
    88566F13-9C82-49EC-B654-D6B4E111FB9A.jpeg
    565 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom