Roooooooooster noise?Now includes Pics of boys

Quote:
Your mostly in USA I am in Ireland - its a wee bit far for my lads to fly!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately no one wants roosters and while I understand where your comming from my original intention was to breed chicks in a closed flock, use the Hens for layers and the unwanted Roooos for meat. I don;t want to spend all this time and effort for someone else to put them in their freezer do I.

Oesdog

I misunderstood and thought you weren't ready to "do the deed" yourself just yet. I just figured I'd ask because everyone says it is really hard to rehome roos, but I had posted a listing online for one that I had to rehome and got several responses in an hour which allowed me to chose which person/family I wanted him to go to.

If your intention was to eat the roos, then I suppose now would be the time to start.
smile.png
Good luck!

I am not READY I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooo NOT READY!!!!!!!!!!!
I LOVE MY ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOsters -
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
Thats the big issue!!!!!! Also The one I want to keep is the darn loudest!!!!!!! I feel I am getting forced into doing the deed to soon!!!! Its only a matter of time before that old neighbor starts threaten us again and I can;t have that.

THanks Oesdog - The day is approaching!!!!!!
DH says he will Do the deed. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thumbsup.gif

I have found that one rooster, by himself. usually crows less often than when there are several. I think this is because he does not have to keep letting the others know he is there.

Can you find your way to just one rooster? The other thing you may consider is not hatching eggs.... you will just end up with lots more roosters. Buy sexed chicks so you don't have to deal with the heartache.

Quote:
Maybe - I did want a closed flock though. However even DH says he is "putting it off as much as he can"
He says he doesn;t want to kill his babies????

Yeah and I am the soft one!!!!!!!!

Oesdog
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

I have found that there are lots of people willing to take roos, try craigslist. But you have to be ok with someone else eating them. Also there is a huge market in our area for raw pet food......

Quote:
That would be insanity - why spend all the time and effort and money just for some other person to kill them and eat them??????? I don;t pay more than £6 or £7 for a shop bought bird - so why would I give someone for free a bird I have spent 6 months feeding and raising????? That I have paid much much more for!!!!!!! NO that is stupidity.

Oesdog - Anyhow unless they were for breeding they wouldn;t be going especially the rare breed legbar.

Quote:
That would be insanity - why spend all the time and effort and money just for some other person to kill them and eat them??????? I don;t pay more than £6 or £7 for a shop bought bird - so why would I give someone for free a bird I have spent 6 months feeding and raising????? That I have paid much much more for!!!!!!! NO that is stupidity.

Oesdog - Anyhow unless they were for breeding they wouldn;t be going especially the rare breed legbar.

sorry, I had the impression you where not willing to kill your own birds. If you are willing than great. I eat rooster a lot and have not bought chicken from the store in ages!

Well, tough it up. That is all there is to it. (Unless, ofcourse you know a butcher service where someone would do the butchering and cleaning for a reasonable fee for you)

Next year I will most likely be in your boat as not all of the 5 boys will be kept. The best one closest to breed standard will get to keep his neck; the other poor boys will be barbeque. And I will be an emotional basket case too, because I named them and notice their personalities already, and one loves to hop on my shoulders to be petted.......... I feel your emo.

Quote:
Tough it up?????????????????
I CAN'T I'M A WUSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
I'm a Pussycat in a doggy outfit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am going to post pics of the Rooooooooooo boys with a write up so you guys can let me know who you think should stay and who you think should go????

- Well I gotta buy time somehow???? - I think if I got given a plate of Big Red or Blue or Duck or Wee Omlet -
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif

Oesdog - So much for the tough old Meat breeder???

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom