Roost height

Kobey

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 8, 2011
So I've read a lot...too much actually...and apparently have chicken-itis of the brain.

In designing my coop for 8 when it comes to roosting I know it’s 2-feet from the ground…top rung higher than the nesting boxes…18” from the wall. And if you do a ladder style 12” over and up works plus you need 8”-12” of space / bird.

My coop roost is 6’ across and 2’ off the ground and I want a second roost 3’-4’ off the ground 18” away so that way there is more than enough space though if they felt like it they could probably all pack onto the top one.

My question is this…I’ve never seen any of the designs or photos do such a thing so am I missing something? And what sort of upper clearance should I have from the highest roost to the ceiling?

Thanks in advance from the "new egg"
wink.png

Last edited:
I would give at least 18 inches clearance at least between the upper roost pole and ceiling. Are you birds bantams or large fowl? That would make a little difference. Frankly, when I see my chickens go to roost, they are just barely flying high enough to get onto the pole. Very different from other birds delicately alighting a branch. For that reason, I don't think you need a massive amount of "head space" above the roost.

Back
Top Bottom