Rooster acting really strange overnight please help!

ArickaRoss

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2018
My 6th-month-old rooster has been dragging his tail on the ground since 2 days ago. I was outside watering my plants when I hear a big commotion of chickens (like they were being scared) and then my rooster starts running towards me with his tail dragging behind him. He did have a wound on his leg though. He's never done this before. Always has his tail up. He's acting the same and eating the same. I posted some photos.

--UP1cRyjBKXfpEZ65_BUBMeKfhp5k4Jh-MVgZtyQWCg0UYdKi5pGsGOYE_-XAU4bI8h6Cn_4xAn1KptdmVC_FaOrTFXbqpZG8X5irVNFAE_CvhmvP9yidPWfYVGSKHFIkHWGw02

cOW5RpzJ7AIKCJDOJCOlQ8MQ5h2TEIpeok_UnGQ17EQ92DkyxNmCNeb2zCJW4mbSZFzLwUmSEvS2sWuIHmnyPNGKUHpcTPZBzLvsSW4ePuBSPfe1n0cJjaHkVukcZUKz0vPjpZOG
This is what he looked like before ↓↓

_tQvX6w2Pt6JLZxug0AHyvMBqOtS66TBtFpyH_unQ7a54q1VimTvZ8AahGvelISq3f0P6jiw13i3Myhg6P03HZ1hNMQlQYLpQIIcEZ1RRIgoi7Zb8h2tq3FE7oPSVm0XD3BCDbNs

Yesterday he was moping around, hiding in dark areas. He's never acted like this before. It was overnight. I tried checking his back feathers, I didn't see any wounds, mites, or lice. but when I let go of the feathers they just fell limply. I'm really scared, I've never had a chicken before, also he’s the only one I “own”.

I brought him up since he was a chick (his mom abandoned him.) He was lives in our backyard. He's around other free-range roosters and chickens that hang out in our backyard. I only feed him. He sleeps in a tree with other chickens. The commotion I spoke of earlier might have been a fight with another rooster. But I'm not sure. He has been chased by other roosters before.

But today he was acting really weird. He lifted his head and stretched his neck in the air and started running frantically in circles then starts running like crazy every which way. He only calms down and acts normal when I hold him. Also, his comb at the ends were dark red/black yesterday but now its normal red. Should I be concerned? Thank you!

Also, his comb at the ends were dark red/black yesterday but now its normal red. Should I be concerned?
Sounds like he was having trouble getting oxygen. Can you get him to a vet? If not, please post poop pictures and check the back of his throat to see if you can see anything white (gapeworms.) Is there any possibility he could have gotten into poison?

EDT: Actually, is there any possibility that the black/red was dried blood?

Last edited:
Do you have other roosters? He maybe trying to disguise himself from other roosters.
Nah. A chicken with his tail down is sick. A sick chicken is a disease carrier and a danger to the health of the flock. Thus, he's a target (especially in more wild populations. Barnyard flocks are often a little more tolerant... but not much.) Cockerels disguise themselves by not crowing, and by not mounting the hens when the roosters are able to see them. They don't pretend to be sick.

I haven't found any of his poop yet. I checked the comb, it wasn't dried blood. But it did change to a brighter red and then back to a darker red, but it wasn't as dark as before. Is this lice? I don't know. While I was checking his comb i saw this climb out of his feathers.

IMG_3433.jpg

Could this be the reason he's acting crazy?

I haven't found any of his poop yet. I checked the comb, it wasn't dried blood. But it did change to a brighter red and then back to a darker red, but it wasn't as dark as before. Is this lice? I don't know. While I was checking his comb i saw this climb out of his feathers.

View attachment 1761169
Could this be the reason he's acting crazy?
That's lice, but it doesn't usually cause a chicken to act odd. (listless, maybe) I'd treat him and all of the birds he ranges with. Liquid permethrin. You may be able to spray it over them while they roost, if you're unable to catch them.

I've had a thought--is there any possibility he's broken his tail?

EDT: Also, red blood is healthy and oxygenated. Blue blood is not. So a purple comb is a sign of not enough oxygen, and is often linked to a respiratory illness.

That's lice, but it doesn't usually cause a chicken to act odd. (listless, maybe) I'd treat him and all of the birds he ranges with. Liquid permethrin. You may be able to spray it over them while they roost, if you're unable to catch them.

I've had a thought--is there any possibility he's broken his tail?

EDT: Also, red blood is healthy and oxygenated. Blue blood is not. So a purple comb is a sign of not enough oxygen, and is often linked to a respiratory illness.

How can I tell if the tail is broken or not? But the comb isn't purple just a little darker red at the tips. He has been acting listless when he's on his own. But right when I come around or if there are any other chickens he runs around frantically. He's only calm when I pick him up.

Is there any other way to treat lice at home? I don't live close to any stores that carry Liquid permethrin. Is giving him a bath an option? Thank you so much for your help!!

How can I tell if the tail is broken or not? But the comb isn't purple just a little darker red at the tips. He has been acting listless when he's on his own. But right when I come around or if there are any other chickens he runs around frantically. He's only calm when I pick him up.

Is there any other way to treat lice at home? I don't live close to any stores that carry Liquid permethrin. Is giving him a bath an option? Thank you so much for your help!!
If you pick up the tail and it falls back down, that's a pretty good indication it's broken. Not sure what you'd do about it. Or it could just be bruised, or he could be sick.

What stores do you have local to you? While giving him a bath is an option, it's not a terribly effective one as it won't kill the eggs, and the chickens he ranges with will simply re-infect him. I think a spray, used at night, may be your best bet. You may be able to buy from Amazon, depending on your country.

If you pick up the tail and it falls back down, that's a pretty good indication it's broken. Not sure what you'd do about it. Or it could just be bruised, or he could be sick.

What stores do you have local to you? While giving him a bath is an option, it's not a terribly effective one as it won't kill the eggs, and the chickens he ranges with will simply re-infect him. I think a spray, used at night, may be your best bet. You may be able to buy from Amazon, depending on your country.

Just small local grocery stores. I'll look on Amazon for it.
This is his poop though
IMG_3435.jpg

You said there was something that made your chickens freak out. Plus said he had a blood coming from his leg. Could he got bitten by a snake? Would a snake venom cause any of these problems? Im still learning plus trying to help slove the problem of his sickness.

Back
Top Bottom