Rooster Acting very off

Soph Loves Chooks

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2019
hello all, today when I came home from school I noticed my rooster, Bean, a mutt I’ve been with since hatching, is acting very strange. He’s lethargic, has a darker colored comb, and is closing his eyes. He also is fairly week. He’ll eat but his crop feels completely empty, and is still crowing and everything. No weird smell off him, no other physical signs.
Haven’t added any new chickens to the flock, but I did get a new turkey on Saturday who stays outside of the pen along with the other turkey. No one else is showing symptoms.
I’m taking him inside tonight and giving him some electrolytes, treats, and a heat pad if I can find one. Anything else I should do?
Should I call the vet?

Attachments

• 89FD2484-1D7E-4E12-A995-3D2A8601B859.jpeg
    89FD2484-1D7E-4E12-A995-3D2A8601B859.jpeg
    433.1 KB · Views: 14
What's his poop look like? (post picture of it if you like). Post pictures of your rooster please, profile picture from each side, another from above. The more experienced folks on the forum can tell a lot from the posture of your chicken. When did you give him a good looking over for mites and lice? When was he last wormed? Have you examined his legs? How about the bottom of his feet (looking for bumblefoot, really really painful infection that's super easy for them to get). What is his normal feeding routine, including treats and portions. Do you add vitamins / minerals to his water? What type of bedding do you use, what are his sleeping arrangements. How many birds do you have of each species and gender, and how closely do they interact?

You say his comb is "darker", meaning purple? Purple combs can be an indicator of serious illness.

Can you open his mouth and look down his windpipe? There should be no
sticky mucus, foul smell, or pasty yellow gunk. Mucus is an indicator of respiratory infection.

Also have you looked at his vent? Blood in the vent is an indicator of possible coccidiosis.

Lastly, look at each of his pupils. If one of them is a pin prick, that's occular mareks disease.

In any case, building up his immune system is helpful. Scrambled eggs with echinacea/goldenseal mixed in, a tiny bit of honey, yogurt can all be helpful. Also clear chicken broth. I have used all of these in various scenarios. Keep us posted.:love

Update: I’m taking him to the vet in an hour. I think he might have mareks... he can’t move his legs now and is very weak. Won’t eat or drink anything, even live crickets. I have a feeling I won’t be taking him home today...

what a *wonderful* birthday this is becoming..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom