Rooster acting weird.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by countrybeachgirl, Sep 14, 2019.

1. countrybeachgirl

countrybeachgirl Chirping

Aug 28, 2019
    I have one rooster and 5 hens. He use to hang out with the ladies all the time. But now he seems to be a outcast. They are free range during the day and put up at night. He’ll hang with them some throughout the day but not much. They’ll be out foraging and he’ll be in the coop eating and drinking or chilling out in the bushes. Then tonight when they all went in the coop and was up on the roost he came out of the coop when usually he’s right up there with them. It’s Like they don’t like each other any more. He Use to make a sound to let them know he found some good stuff to eat, he would even pick it up with his beak and let them take it but I haven’t notice him doing that or mating with any of them lately. He looks good and healthy. It just seems like they don’t want him hanging around with them anymore.

Quackter and ValerieJ like this.
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Great Horny Toads

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Is he molting? Where are you located? My boys are starting to molt. They sometimes lose interest in mating during this time, and some do not like to be touched.

3. countrybeachgirl

Aug 28, 2019
    I’m in Mississippi. I was thinking and hoping that is what’s wrong. It just breaks my heart. He still does his crowing.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Roosters tend to molt before hens. If he's eating and drinking generally they are fine.

5. countrybeachgirl

Aug 28, 2019
    Thank you!! I do think that’s what it is. But I wasn’t sure.

6. Quackter

Quackter Songster

May 15, 2019
    How old is he, he doesn't need a Miata does he? :)

^^Probally just molting, give him a week or two, he should be fine.

7. countrybeachgirl

Aug 28, 2019
    I’m really not sure. I estimate maybe 4 or 5 months old.

8. If he's not a year old, it's a partial molt at best. Some skip it altogether. He might be sick, not molting. Keep an eye on him and see if he develops other symptoms.

9. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I guess I should have asked his age. He wouldn't do a molt at his age.

10. EggWalrus

EggWalrus Free Ranging

Aug 14, 2017
    Southeast Alabama
    It could be that the girls are molting and don't feel like putting up with a teen aged roo with raging hormones. I'm in Ala and most my birds are about half way thru molting, so very few eggs other than from the pullets, the roosters aren't quite as randy. Poor little rascals, I bet molting is like having all your teeth fall out in a month and teething your new ones in all over again, as an adult. It can't feel good at all. :hit

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: