Rooster attacked me

esme13

Crowing
9 Years
Apr 22, 2014
New York
Rooster advice please. I’m on the fence with this boy and have been for over a year. He attacked his father last year , once he turned 1year old, so we caged him to his own coop in view of everyone. His dad (father rooster) passed away in February.

Today I decided to try and see if he can do well with the girls. Everyone was happy. However my oldest hen was running away from him and he dominated her. So I went over to that direction and before I even got close to her. The other hens and him came over to me.

He looked at me and than suddenly bit me and clawed me and did it several times. I stood my ground. I have marks all over my leg.

My husband chased him and said we need to show him to be afraid. Not sure about that.

What else can I do? This may just be how he is wired, but I’m giving him just 1 more chance.

Reason he stayed alive is he hatched on my son’s birthday.

I hate killing birds, so I’m not suggesting that even though I know a lot of people on here will disagree. This is just a rooster’s nature sometimes, and there isn’t a lot you can do to change it. You can sell him or give him to a farm. There’s probably more options, too, that others will say.

I teach my roosters to go to a certain spot-usually a roost- and stay there until I leave the coop. I do this by making the rooster very uncomfortable around me by chasing him with a net. When he goes to where I want him to be, I leave him alone. Most roosters learn how to avoid my wrath very quickly and will comply. Those who don't learn go to the man down the road to feed his family. If you have children, I would not keep him.

Thank you all, for your words and tips. I think he will have to go 😔. I don’t want anyone else to get hurt or the dog. He attacked me again, this time he ran into the butterfly net. He just kept charging at me when I got him into the enclosure.

Even when I think he is intimidated by me, he still takes a chance to charge. I have welts from earlier. I just feel so bad, because we tried to hold onto him for so long. He unfortunately didn’t inherit his fathers personality. And one of my hens is totally traumatized.

Back
Top Bottom