Rooster attacking despite some advices followed

At what point do you consider this Aggression to the point of being “persistent and severe”? — While he still a Cockerel, and before he has a chance to become a mature Roo? If so, then IMO it’s too early. I think what myself and @Tonyroo is saying is that you gotta let a cockerel be a cockerel, try to understand them, and give them a chance if you can as you may be cheating yourself of a really good Rooster that will one day save you Layer hens from danger and lay down his life for them. I mean, what better protection for you Flock can you ask for? To me, it’s definitely worth it! Roos get a bad rap, that’s for sure
I consider it likely to be beyond the point of no return if 1) it is a cockerel, a cockerel should be least likely to attack you because its still a teenager and cockerels are naturally submissive in the chicken pecking order to a mature cock. and 2) the aggression takes the form of constant flogging as if he’s trying to spur you. A rooster should never, ever, under any circumstance, attempt to flog or spur his owner. Any consistent spurring or flogging behavior is sign of the defect and either has to be accepted or culled. It can never be trained away because you can never train a rooster to not attack a rival. The defect is not the aggression the defect is in aiming the aggression at a human as opposed to a rival rooster. Attempts to assert dominance over said rooster are only temporary just as that rooster’s submission to a rival rooster is only temporary.

I am also convinced that in addition to having a defect where human and rival rooster is not distinguished, some roosters attack out of enjoyment. My great, great, aunt had a Rhode Island red that would plan his attacks and pretend that he wasn’t going to attack. He’d fake out like he was pecking then he’d attack when the person turned their backs. He would never attack when being stared at. My great great uncle would knock him unconscious with a cane but that only taught him to be sneaky. That rooster terrorized the farm for a decade until he was culled unknowing to my aunt. I am convinced that rooster enjoyed attacking and could be considered a sociopath to the extent that any bird could be.

A rooster that may gently peck its owner out of frustration or begging for food can be corrected. That’s a different kind of aggression. One of my game roosters will gently peck me when I’m doing something he doesn’t like and I can verbally correct him and he won’t peck again in that context. He also liked to pull my boxers down from the rear when he was a very young cockerel if I went outside in them. He never makes any attempt to flog me. None of my living game brood cocks have ever tried to flog me at any times in their lives.

Something else I’d point out is that in my experience, human aggressive roosters are the first to run from danger. They are not the roosters that will flog a predator attacking the hens. They’re defined by passive aggressive fear and insecurity. They are also never the dominant roosters when placed among other roosters. They’re usually only dominant when they’re the only rooster or when they’re significantly more mature than the competition.

The roosters that are good flock protectors and will be the ones to whip all rival roosters will be the strong and self-confident roosters that are comfortable around their humans. I’m sure there will be exceptions but these observations have been my general experiences.

Although I think imprinting has a lot to do with human aggression, I also wonder if it comes from poor eyesight. Inability to distinguish shapes and movements of a human’s leg from a rival.

I have the same problem with mine. 6 months old and hates me and my son. He LOVES my wife though. She can pick him up hold him, pet him, feed him out of her hand anything. But me or son? Not so much. My son is teenage and bigger than me so no worries.

I call him 'The Conspiracy Theorist'.

He's always telling the hens that I'm bad and to stay away. Even to the point of pushing them back. I can hear him saying, "he's trying to poison us by giving us poisonous feed!". Whatever is going on.... he's against it. He's been their leader from I guess chick stage (all raised together). Usually if I stand there a little while and tell him NO, he's ok. Then other times he got up on the wrong side of the roost and is just itching for a fight and no amount of kicking or holding down will keep him away.

Eventually he'll probably end up somewhere else. If I didn't think he was useful for my girls right now, he'd be gone already.

Hi everyone and thanks so much for the comments and advice! There potentially someone that wants the Roo. A wildlife sanctuary near by sometimes takes peoples unwanted roosters to cull to feed birds of prey ect. So if they decide to take him that that's great. If not then I guess it will be pellet gun to the head! At least if the Wild life sanctuary takes him,. then the meat will go to something good!

I would cull. I don't tolerate aggressive animals, and when his spurs come in he can do serious damage. I culled a rooster that lost his mind and was trying to kill my favorite hen. Used a .22 pellet gun to the head. He made a delicious meal. I know it's hard but I would cull myself rather than a vet. Vet costs money and like you said, wastes the meat. One good thing about culling yourself is that the circle of life continues. Wildlife rescue is a good option too.

I consider it likely to be beyond the point of no return if 1) it is a cockerel, a cockerel should be least likely to attack you because its still a teenager and cockerels are naturally submissive in the chicken pecking order to a mature cock. and 2) the aggression takes the form of constant flogging as if he’s trying to spur you. A rooster should never, ever, under any circumstance, attempt to flog or spur his owner. Any consistent spurring or flogging behavior is sign of the defect and either has to be accepted or culled. It can never be trained away because you can never train a rooster to not attack a rival. The defect is not the aggression the defect is in aiming the aggression at a human as opposed to a rival rooster. Attempts to assert dominance over said rooster are only temporary just as that rooster’s submission to a rival rooster is only temporary.

I am also convinced that in addition to having a defect where human and rival rooster is not distinguished, some roosters attack out of enjoyment. My great, great, aunt had a Rhode Island red that would plan his attacks and pretend that he wasn’t going to attack. He’d fake out like he was pecking then he’d attack when the person turned their backs. He would never attack when being stared at. My great great uncle would knock him unconscious with a cane but that only taught him to be sneaky. That rooster terrorized the farm for a decade until he was culled unknowing to my aunt. I am convinced that rooster enjoyed attacking and could be considered a sociopath to the extent that any bird could be.

A rooster that may gently peck its owner out of frustration or begging for food can be corrected. That’s a different kind of aggression. One of my game roosters will gently peck me when I’m doing something he doesn’t like and I can verbally correct him and he won’t peck again in that context. He also liked to pull my boxers down from the rear when he was a very young cockerel if I went outside in them. He never makes any attempt to flog me. None of my living game brood cocks have ever tried to flog me at any times in their lives.
Thanks so much for clarifying! As a new chicken owner with an admiration for good roosters I really appreciate this ♥️👍🏼

I would cull. I don't tolerate aggressive animals, and when his spurs come in he can do serious damage. I culled a rooster that lost his mind and was trying to kill my favorite hen. Used a .22 pellet gun to the head. He made a delicious meal. I know it's hard but I would cull myself rather than a vet. Vet costs money and like you said, wastes the meat. One good thing about culling yourself is that the circle of life continues. Wildlife rescue is a good option too.
Hi thanks for the reply! when do their spurs come in? this is the first batch of chickens I've ever had so still learning! hoping people don't judge me as being new, mistakes will be made and learned from! lol. The sanctuary didn't get back to me today. I'm hoping if he doesn't get taken by someone then he will settle down a bit once he has more space. right now because of UK current law regarding avian flu they have to be kept under lock and key and currently the coop is a bit small for all 3. I am in the process of building a 64sq foot run with hardware mesh for the 3 chickens but its not at the point of letting them out into it. Im hoping if he doesn't get taken, then he will feel a bit more at ease having more space around him. maybe he feels threatened being in a small coop with a larger person entering every day to refeed / water? i may have failed to mention this earlier. just been a lot going on in my mind about it. Still afraid to do the "process" myself as i love him as i love any pet. As if their my " family" rather than Livestock

Some cockerels and Roos are just born more aggressive than others. I never handle my cockerels. I think it allows them a little human fear. If he’s rude to your family , you are better off culling or rehoming. We had two cockerels this spring and did the cone method. It was quick and calm. We all were emotional and sad, but I expressed to my younger generation why is it okay for us to eat the store chicken and not our own?

Some cockerels and Roos are just born more aggressive than others. I never handle my cockerels. I think it allows them a little human fear. If he’s rude to your family , you are better off culling or rehoming. We had two cockerels this spring and did the cone method. It was quick and calm. We all were emotional and sad, but I expressed to my younger generation why is it okay for us to eat the store chicken and not our own?
good advice. he's never been rude to the family yet but ive never taken that chance. so hes only used to my face. he does get "Riled up" / Ancy if he sees other faces though. But as do our hens also. Can the legal confinement be part of the issue would you say? should i give it time for him to adjust more to an outdoor area once built if no one else takes him? I would really love to have fertile eggs from our own batch if possible. As said. forgive me if I'm slow at coming to terms or learning about this. its all a a entirely new experience for me

Hi everyone. Second post of today. But this one a bit more serious. I have 3 chickens all hatched November 16th. 2 I know are hens But our white one in picture is a Roo. Dekalb White I believe his breed to be, I have tried some advice from online for behavior aggression issues over the past couple + weeks. Such as just spending more time around the flock. just talking with them. And even manually handing rooster in way to "Assert Dominance but affection also" as one video suggested by holding him down by his back like a dominant rooster would to assert his dominance to stop fighting but also rewarding treats from the hand. While this seems to work for other people. Its been a total loss for me. every time I enter their "area" to refill their food or water he just attacks me. bites onto my shirt sleeve and jumps up at my arm with his claws. I have been told just to cull him but I have never had such experience and honestly I don't know if I even have it in me to do that, I am kind of at a total lost point now. So anything you guys can suggest would be definitely appreciated.
Exact same situation as with mine :(

Back
Top Bottom