Rooster Behavior Analysis

ColonelMustard

Chirping
Aug 2, 2023

I’ve had this fella for a few weeks now and now that he’s pretty used to me I’m curious about his behavior.

Today he hopped out of his enclosure while I was bringing materials over to expand his fence. I was surprised that he decided to stay close to me given his sudden freedom lol.

Before I took the video he was slowly walking circles around me, making his clucking noises and pecking at rocks every once in a while.

I was thinking maybe he’s wanting some chicken scratch but didn’t want to give him some and make him think he needs to hop the fence to earn it (not sure if that’s how roosters think).

After I took the video he followed me around for a few minutes while I worked then returned to his enclosure through the now open gate.

Any insight would be appreciated! Just curious to learn more.

I’ve had this fella for a few weeks now and now that he’s pretty used to me I’m curious about his behavior.

Today he hopped out of his enclosure while I was bringing materials over to expand his fence. I was surprised that he decided to stay close to me given his sudden freedom lol.

Before I took the video he was slowly walking circles around me, making his clucking noises and pecking at rocks every once in a while.

I was thinking maybe he’s wanting some chicken scratch but didn’t want to give him some and make him think he needs to hop the fence to earn it (not sure if that’s how roosters think).

After I took the video he followed me around for a few minutes while I worked then returned to his enclosure through the now open gate.

Any insight would be appreciated! Just curious to learn more.
He is used to you now and since you appear to be the only company he has he came to see you. They are flock animals, he needs some company.

He is used to you now and since you appear to be the only company he has he came to see you. They are flock animals, he needs some company.
That makes sense. I’m looking for some hens so hopefully he’ll have a flock soon. Now that I know he’s so calm out of his enclosure I’ll give him some daily free-range time til he gets his ladies to look after.

That makes sense. I’m looking for some hens so hopefully he’ll have a flock soon. Now that I know he’s so calm out of his enclosure I’ll give him some daily free-range time til he gets his ladies to look after.
He’s a good looking guy, I really like his coloring, I hope you update us with pics of his ladies later. I cracked up when he reacted to the dog barking. Too cute

Back
Top Bottom