Rooster Behavior Change

NickiesChickies

Chirping
Jun 19, 2020
Hi!! Sooooo, I will make this as short as possible. I have a flock of 8. Two Males, one Black Australorp one Black Jersey Giant six females four black australorp and two buff orpingtons. They’re all approximately 20-21 weeks old. I just got my first eggs this week (only two and they’re small). Now, I’ve noticed my males behavior has changed DRAMATICALLY toward me and other humans as well as the hens. Quite honestly they’re real @$$holes but I still love them. Is this what it is? Are they just adolescent males exhibiting normal behavior? They even eat aggressively. Also please need suggestions on how to defend myself. 😳😬

help lol

This may be considered normal behavior for cockerels coming into their hormones, but it doesn't mean it's acceptable. Misbehavior, aggression toward humans, must be disciplined on the spot. Like dogs, cockerels and roosters need established boundaries, and you are the one to lay down the law.

It's not a matter of defending yourself. You need to establish yourself as flock leader and caretaker. You are the alpha in the flock. Your cockerels and roosters are subordinate. You need to behave with self confidence around your chickens, and if you're afraid, the roosters will pick up on it and push you around. Your attitude has a lot to do with how your roosters behave.

Roosters and cockerels are expected to move immediately out of your way when you're walking through the run. Never walk around a rooster. Make him be the one to move. If he refuses to budge or if he comes at you aggressively, you must immobilize him and not release him until he relaxes. Discipline, not punishment is absolutely essential to maintaining polite roosters. Any males that don't respond to discipline are candidates for rehoming or soup.

Don't listen to people who insist you must prevent a rooster from mating in front of you. That's interfering with his role in the flock and it will only make matters worse. Ignore him as long as he's fulfilling his role as flock protector and mating hens. If he misbehaves or hurts the hens, then you should step in with the necessary discipline. Your goal is mutual trust - you have your role and he has his, and each of you respects the other.

If you are too fearful of your roosters and are unable to respond with the necessary discipline, then you probably shouldn't try to keep roosters in your flock.

These are your first cockerels, and it's easy to miss the early signs of difficult behaviors. This may or may not be fixable, and especially if you have small children, he should be gone ASAP.
You are the giant who brings food, not a flock member to be pushed around! Read @Beekissed 's article, also @BantyChooks , and @Shadrach 's who all have helpful things to say. Shadrach has a different flock environment than most of us here, but it's still good reading.
If you are going to try, then wear jeans and shoes or boots, and carry a stick to extend your reach, and walk through him, never around. Insist that he always respects your space, and moves out of your way, every time.
Human aggression is both genetic and influenced by management, so if he doesn't really 'turn a new leaf', he's not a keeper, and shouldn't join the gene pool either.
Mary

Nickie-- Read a bunch of articles on this site about taming roosters (or cockerels). There is a LOT of good info here.

I had three cockerels. It was too many as I only have three pullets. (Never buying straight run again!) The boys were all buff orpingtons, supposedly a docile breed. When hormones hit, two of them became very aggressive both to me and the pullets, so they had to go. I could not find any takers, not even for meat.

It was NOT easy to cull them. I blamed myself for making the mistake of not being prepared for this possibility, because I rushed into chicken mom-dom. But I know I did the right thing.
I have one cockerel left, and he seems to be a good fit for my flock.

Update - when leading them into their run/coop for the evening I held the door open for them and my jersey (mr g) was lurking around my legs. He is literally up to my knees. He bit my foot twice and I turned to face him and have him back off and he lunged at me with feet in the air and wings spread biting the wind. I put my foot in his chest and he came back at me 3 times until I chased him up the damn hill!!!! My husband came out and helped me get the others back in the run. I grabbed a stick in case he came at me again. He was the last one in and seemed afraid. I started clicking and moving toward him and he didn’t like it. He finally went in. I can’t tell if I’m scared or sad or mad or what. I feel like a bad mom.
Cull that one.

This may be considered normal behavior for cockerels coming into their hormones, but it doesn't mean it's acceptable. Misbehavior, aggression toward humans, must be disciplined on the spot. Like dogs, cockerels and roosters need established boundaries, and you are the one to lay down the law.

It's not a matter of defending yourself. You need to establish yourself as flock leader and caretaker. You are the alpha in the flock. Your cockerels and roosters are subordinate. You need to behave with self confidence around your chickens, and if you're afraid, the roosters will pick up on it and push you around. Your attitude has a lot to do with how your roosters behave.

Roosters and cockerels are expected to move immediately out of your way when you're walking through the run. Never walk around a rooster. Make him be the one to move. If he refuses to budge or if he comes at you aggressively, you must immobilize him and not release him until he relaxes. Discipline, not punishment is absolutely essential to maintaining polite roosters. Any males that don't respond to discipline are candidates for rehoming or soup.

Don't listen to people who insist you must prevent a rooster from mating in front of you. That's interfering with his role in the flock and it will only make matters worse. Ignore him as long as he's fulfilling his role as flock protector and mating hens. If he misbehaves or hurts the hens, then you should step in with the necessary discipline. Your goal is mutual trust - you have your role and he has his, and each of you respects the other.

If you are too fearful of your roosters and are unable to respond with the necessary discipline, then you probably shouldn't try to keep roosters in your flock.
That was incredibly well said.

Update - when leading them into their run/coop for the evening I held the door open for them and my jersey (mr g) was lurking around my legs. He is literally up to my knees. He bit my foot twice and I turned to face him and have him back off and he lunged at me with feet in the air and wings spread biting the wind. I put my foot in his chest and he came back at me 3 times until I chased him up the damn hill!!!! My husband came out and helped me get the others back in the run. I grabbed a stick in case he came at me again. He was the last one in and seemed afraid. I started clicking and moving toward him and he didn’t like it. He finally went in. I can’t tell if I’m scared or sad or mad or what. I feel like a bad mom.

Back
Top Bottom