Rooster Breed Selection

fayoumisfeathers

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2017
Hello! I used to own chickens, but i had to move, therefore i gave them to an owner that now cherishes their eggs! I am starting to build my backyard flock again, in Idaho, and i need to choose a rooster! I want to start breeding hens (not for show or to sell, just to experiment) and I currently don't have any males. I need a breed that is docile, cold hardy, and not a super heavy breed (i prefer free range). My hens are mainly small-medium breeds*, so i don't want a rooster that will crush them when trying to mount them. I also want a breed that is good at free range, and that is fairly mobile, and can escape predators. I was planning on getting a couple Easter Eggers, but the decision's not final, and I'd love any feedback anybody has.

Thanks for reading and/or responding!

*D'uccle bantams, Fayoumi cross, Ameraucana bantam, Ameraucana (standard), Sebright bantam, Medium-sized mutt, Rhode island red, Silkie

Considering you have d'Uccle, Sebright, and Silkie in your flock, for their sakes I would go with a bantam cockbird... an Old English Game bantam would fit the bill nicely, I think... they're tough little guys, free range excellently and I wouldn't be too concerned with cold as he would have girls to be near/share body heat, etc...

Thank you! I'll go with a Bantam. I have one question: Would Red Pyle Game Bantam work too, or are they not as good as free ranging or camouflaging?

Thank you! I'll go with a Bantam. I have one question: Would Red Pyle Game Bantam work too, or are they not as good as free ranging or camouflaging?

Red Pyle is just a color variety... sounds like a standard size, not a bantam though? It might be fine, many of those are on the lighter side, check his size first though in comparison to your smallest girls... in general though, any type of game bird should do you well...

Back
Top Bottom