Rooster chased my son *UPDATE pg 4*

A rooster has pretty specific jobs in the flock and a good rooster is genetically programmed to perform them. One is to ensure the eggs are fertile. One is to keep order in the flock, like stop the hens from fighting too seriously. Another is to serve as a lookout for danger, especially hawks. And finally to protect the flock, even if it means fighting to his death in their protection. Not all roosters are good. Some are sadistic bullies and some are meek milquetoasts. Some are oversexed brutes and some are gentlemen. A good one is nice to have around. For a rooster to perform most of these duties, he has to have dominance over his flock.

Your son dancing for the rooster upset this somehow. I'm not sure if he saw this as a threat to his dominance, a new member of the flock he needed to be establish dominance over, or a threat to his flock. I suspect he saw it as a threat to his dominance, but I don't know for sure. I'm pretty sure the rooster was acting on instinct. You don't say if this is the first interaction of your son with the flock or if he had been able to safely mix with the flock before the dance.

I value the safety of family well above any rooster. I do believe that now that the rooster has seen your son as a threat of some type he will continue to go after your son whenever he gets a chance unless something changes. If your son is capable of establishing dominance over the rooster on his own with you not around, the situation can probably be salvaged. I'll give you a link to Gritsar's site that will help you with this.

How you manage the situation is up to you. I grew up on a farm with five kids and many different roosters over the years. None of us were ever attacked by a rooster, but they were not pets and they had lots of room. I know it is possible to coexist but I also know that incidents happen and need to be addressed.

My only advice is to assess the situation as it is now and protect your family above all else.

Good luck!

Gritsar’s Reform School
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=4810

First off, I'm a vegetarian and an animal lover. I would never intentionally kill or allow anyone else to kill an animal I've raised. If I have to rehome the rooster it will go to someone who will allow him to live out his life. We only have the one rooster and 5 hens. We raised them from day olds. I've read all about training the rooster and have done all of these methods myself. My children have also chased him around on occasion which was working up until this point. I will continue to keep the children inside while they free range, but I will also let my son tug on his neck feathers the next time I'm holding the rooster. Couldn't hurt. Thank you everyone for you replies.

Well, that's great! I used to be a vegetarian. It was a wonderfully difficult existance...
cool.png

We wanted to rehome ours instead of culling, but I couldn't find anyone to take him. Then I decided not to pass my "problem child" on to someone else. We also had raised our rooster from 3 days old. It was a difficult thing to do, but it is what I decided was best for the safety of our children. And, not to be offensive to you, but my children rather enjoyed the roasted chicken dinner we had out of Mr. Muffin. I think, in some way, it was pay backs for his constant brutality. And, now they can go and collect eggs without getting their legs flogged.

I guess just don't rehome him to a place where they have children.
idunno.gif

23 weeks (< 6 months) is a very young bird, not mature at all and his manners are not yet perfect. Instincts rule and if he is the only rooster, then he doesn't have a mature roo to show him the ropes or put him in his place, but it does sound like you are putting him in his place. I use a long PVC pipe to guide my chickens back into their coop and I could also use it to defend himself if the need arises. It is 4.5 feet in length and I have never had to use it to swat any of my 4 chickens. I also don't let mine out of their run much because I want to keep them safe, as well as other small children that may be around the property. AND I have 3 baby raccoons being raised by my neighbors directly behind me (idiots they are).

Some isolation during the day, strict supervision with the kids, chicken saddles for the girls, work with him, he is a gorgeous rooster!

Freezer camp? It is way too soon to make that call.

My Blue Cochin rooster (Azul is his name now, used to be Little Ricky) is nothing but a gentleman at 20 weeks, but that can change in an instant.

Good luck,

Hugh

Someone here once mentioned that they armed their kid with a squirt gun. Might be helpful in having your child show the rooster who's the biggest, baddest rooster around.

My beloved Sir Buffington had to go after he began terrorizing the kids, even drawing blood.

Backyards birds should be a special, fun experience for children. Not the poultry version of "Friday the 13th."

My kids didn't even want to go into the backyard when Buff was back there.

And by "getting rid" of him. I put an ad on Craigslist and found I farmer who wanted a rooster. So I'm (pretty) sure my rooster didn't head straight to the stock pot

Quote:
I'd suggest a Supersoaker. Don't mess around!

Better yet, pull out the .410 and put the kid's safety first! That behavior is passed on so the only way to rid yourself of that danger is to get rid of the rooster. Don't "rehome"... just feed it to your dog if you won't eat it yourself.

I'm curious...why would a vegetarian need chickens?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom