Rooster comb

chicky68

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 21, 2014
South Jersey
Hello everyone,
I have 2 roosters and 8 hens. For the most part they all get along. I noticed my older roosters comb is cruddy looking, almost looks like there was a little blood on it, and almost looks shorter then it used to be. Plus i dont hear him crow anymore. How long do they live? Is he sick or did they fight? Not sure.

Can you post any pictures of the comb? This time of year, frostbite on combs is very common, and they will bleed if pecked or injured. If not frostbite, the other rooster may have pecked him. Roosters can live for years even 10-12 years. A lot depends on how stressed they are, and if there is illness in the flock or predators around. I have 6 year old rooster who is having symptoms of severe arthritis, and he is not looking very spry. I have been contemplating putting him down lately, and then just the other day he was mating a hen. So I guess he isn’t that bad yet.

Hello everyone,
I have 2 roosters and 8 hens. For the most part they all get along. I noticed my older roosters comb is cruddy looking, almost looks like there was a little blood on it, and almost looks shorter then it used to be. Plus i dont hear him crow anymore. How long do they live? Is he sick or did they fight? Not sure.
My
Can you post any pictures of the comb? This time of year, frostbite on combs is very common, and they will bleed if pecked or injured. If not frostbite, the other rooster may have pecked him. Roosters can live for years even 10-12 years. A lot depends on how stressed they are, and if there is illness in the flock or predators around. I have 6 year old rooster who is having symptoms of severe arthritis, and he is not looking very spry. I have been contemplating putting him down lately, and then just the other day he was mating a hen. So I guess he isn’t that bad yet.
My rooster looks worse today. He has blood all over his feathers by his head, his comb is bleeding. Do you think the other rooster is beating him up? Should I put the other rooster down. He is attacking us as well. What should I do? My older rooster is nicer and doesn't bother anyone. Will he heal? Should I separate him until he gets better?

I think I have mites. Is this what they look like?
15176842011671735643649.jpg

It looks more like a louse. Both lice and mites can be treated with permethrin 10% spray or the garden dust, available at most feed stores. The 10% spray concentrate is more cost effecient, and you can mix up a spray battle or gallon sprayer many times. Follow directions for poultry, usually about 1/2 ounce or 15 ml per gallon.

Lice on chickens will lay eggs in white clumps at the base of feathers, may be located under the vent, or around neck and under wings. The eggs will hatch every 10 days, so you need to treat at least twice, then empty all coop bedding and spray the coop, nest boxes, and roosts.

I thought my rooster was fine but now I think he is dying. He has bugs crawling all around his neck. His comb is black and he hasn't moved. Shoukd i put him down or is there something i can do. Also, is this lice harmful to humans.

I thought my rooster was fine but now I think he is dying. He has bugs crawling all around his neck. His comb is black and he hasn't moved. Shoukd i put him down or is there something i can do. Also, is this lice harmful to humans.
I would seperate the bird with the bugs from all the other birds to prevent them from being spread. You can get a dust from a Walmart or Mainer etc in the outdoor/bug section. I’d dust all your birds for prevention. Lice arnt truly HARMFUL but they could get into your hair and live there like they do in your chicken’s feathers. I you personally want to prevent getting them, Just make sure to not hold the rooster against you, or any of the birds for that matter until the bugs are gone. It would also be a good idea to sprinkle some dusting into their nestbox, on the ground of their pen, or anywhere they spend a lot of time. Good luck, hope you don’t have to put any down! :)

Will the lice get on me and if so do i have to treat myself for it.

I'm sorry to hear he is not doing well.

Do you have any photos of him you would like to share?

External parasites can drain a chicken if the infestation is severe. You will want to treat him and your flock ASAP, with a Permethrin based poultry spray or dust. These can be found at most feed stores like Tractor Supply.
See this link for photos of different products you can use http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1151513/pesticides-approved-for-poultry

Poultry lice is species specific, you may get one or two on you as you treat or maybe even a bite, but they do not like humans, so will not live on you. Just wash your hands after treating your chickens. If you prefer, bath/shower and wash your clothes.

For your rooster, the comb being black - did he get frostbitten? If there is a way to bring him in since he is failing, that would be best. The first step is to treat for the bugs, but it's very important to get him hydrated. Once he is drinking, then see if he will eat.
For your flock, treat them with the dust/spray, clean out your coop bedding, treat the coop and roosts. Repeat the treatment for the chickens and housing in 7-10days to kill off any that have hatched.

Let us know how he is doing.

Back
Top Bottom