Rooster crowing at night

We have a property light that shines onto the run area so there is some light. We set up that way because we are swarmed with predators and it helps keeping them at bay. So I'm guessing he wakes a little and notices the light?

That will do it....My Rooster Crows real early in the morning if he hears the dogs out or if the door slams.....Still dark out but he wakes up......
I heat my Birds so the red light is always on.....

Enjoy those Birds!

Cheers!

Thanks! We love our birds, he has 14 hens he gets to love on every day and he doesn't attack us so he is a pretty good roo!

We have a property light that shines onto the run area so there is some light. We set up that way because we are swarmed with predators and it helps keeping them at bay. So I'm guessing he wakes a little and notices the light?
Yard lights will not keep predators away....he may be crowing because something is investigating how to get into the coop.
Is he a young cockerel?....some boys just don't know when to shut up.

I agree that a light won't keep predators at bay. Animals are pretty smart. So they see the light on and it isn't moving around, they can tell there is no dog or anything. Hey let's go check out that chicken smell.... Some people claim the ones that are two red dots to look like eyes help, but reviews are mixed. Raccoons especially (I know) could give a rats' patootie about lights. They will walk along a wall, stand up, look around the corner and make sure the coast is clear then proceed!

My roosters crow during the night as well. They may be warning off a predator.

Yes they also crow when they hear me making coffee while it's still dark. But on top of that, chickens can actually sense the sun 2 hours before dawn because they can see more colors than us including UV.

I always thought leaving a light on would give the criminal a way to see what they are after better. But the police insist it helps keep them out. I can see it's a lot easier to hide in the dark.

The crowing isn't much of a problem for us. But if it becomes a problem for you, and you plan to keep him... you could try a no crow collar.

Best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom