Rooster Crowling - How To Manage?

smoknz28

Songster
Mar 7, 2012
Central Virginia, USA
In years past, as we got more than one to two roosters, we either sold them or gave them away...because the crowling was just too much.

Well, I know have 4 roosters with two of them too obnoxious with their crowling starting anywhere between 3am thru 8am.

In my neighborhood, we are all on a bit over 3-acres of land, so I don't think my neighbors are hearing it, or atleast not too loud.

I don't care that they crowl after 9am, but this 3-8am is getting too much.

Anyway to keep them from crowling when you want? I did consider setting up a one of this dog bark sensors that send out a high pitch signal, but doubt it's a frequency in their range and doubt it would even turn on when they crowl, but I gotta do something soon or I just may..."off with their heads!"
1f60e.png

I know it's just natural for them to do, but I'd just like to manage it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Found this, which seems too expensive....so I may try just a Velcro strap.

Don't know...just know I'm losing patience with this 3am waking me up nearly every morning.

I have a 1 year old rooster that frequently crows, any time of the day, almost every hour it seems.
Never counted but it's gotta' be around 15 to 35 times a day. He crows inside the coop or when he is free-roaming.
He is with 9 other hens, all day long.
Maybe he is "happy and singing" because he has 9 'chicks' to dance around! LOL
tongue.png

Hopefully it's mainly a sign of being healthy &/or happy..

I think you've hit the nail on the head. What they are doing is natural, therefore there is probably very little that you can do about it. The very nature of a rooster dictates that he will crow at the first sign of light each day. They don't (unfortunately) only crow during business hours
smile.png

I have heard of 'no crow' rooster collars but I have no idea how effective they are. The only other thing I can think of is to 'light-proof' their coop so that they can't see the sun come up, and thereby withhold their crowing until a more appropriate hour. The issue with that though, is that it may prevent proper ventilation of your coop - not good for their health in the long run.

I'm afraid you may be fighting a losing battle with this one. It may well be that your only solution is to rehome them to someone who likes to hear a rooster's crow in the morning. I myself find it quite delightful, but then I only have one rooster!

- Krista

The issue with my scenario is that they get to Crowling long before the sun comes up...3am. Ack!

I fully understand they are doing what's in their nature...to crowl, but it's not natural to do at 3am.

I'm opposite. I like the 3-8am crowing. It puts a happy smile on my face and I thank the Good Lord for letting me see another day then I roll over and go back to sleep.
It's the constant daytime crowing that annoys me, especially when I'm outside and there are 15 roosters standing 20 feet away and won't shut their beaks. As part of my Yearly Pullet Replacement Program I accidently hatch about 50 roosters every year and my rule is 'when you start to crow, it's time to go."

I think you've hit the nail on the head. What they are doing is natural, therefore there is probably very little that you can do about it. The very nature of a rooster dictates that he will crow at the first sign of light each day. They don't (unfortunately) only crow during business hours
smile.png

I have heard of 'no crow' rooster collars but I have no idea how effective they are. The only other thing I can think of is to 'light-proof' their coop so that they can't see the sun come up, and thereby withhold their crowing until a more appropriate hour. The issue with that though, is that it may prevent proper ventilation of your coop - not good for their health in the long run.

I'm afraid you may be fighting a losing battle with this one. It may well be that your only solution is to rehome them to someone who likes to hear a rooster's crow in the morning. I myself find it quite delightful, but then I only have one rooster!

- Krista
I agree. My roos start at about 4:00 in the morning, sometimes earlier. I've got six total roos, plus one very frisky Bourbon Red tom who gobbles at every noise, however slight it may be. I wouldn't waste money on no crow collars or anything like that. It's just their instincts. Who knows how effective a man-made device will be at stifling an animal's natural behavior? My advice is to re-home also if you don't want the noise.
smile.png

The issue with my scenario is that they get to Crowling long before the sun comes up...3am. Ack!

I fully understand they are doing what's in their nature...to crowl, but it's not natural to do at 3am.

Mine will crow when they hear a car approaching the property, if they see the cat sneak by, if a car's headlights briefly light up the trees, if they hear another rooster crow miles away, if they see me with the treat bucket, if hubby comes home from work.....you get my drift
smile.png

They crow to announce something exciting, to deflect competing roosters, and to protect their hens too. Not just to announce daybreak. Something is setting your roo off at 3am. Maybe they see a distant light of a neighbour's property on the horizon. It really doesn't take much. Maybe they heard something barely audible to humans.

Maybe it was just for.....fun!

- Krista

Back
Top Bottom