Rooster dance

choopes

Songster
13 Years
Nov 4, 2010
my farm South Alabama
My rooster runs the yard freely. He does a thing where he drops one wing to the ground, then kinda walks sideways. I feel he is agressive. I told another friend about it. He said his rooster does that when a new hen is introduced to the flock, but not a new male bird. This way he could tell the sex of a young pullet. What is up with my crazy roo? Why does he do this?

If he does the 'dance' to a hen, it's mating behavior. If he dances at you, it may very well be a precursor to aggressive behavior. Don't let him get away with it or the behavior may very likely escalate. Advance towards him and force him to give way. Stalk him until he wants nothing to do with you.

Glad to find this thread. My rooster is a Buff Ophington, freaking huge . He, Booster the Rooster, does his take on the electric slide just after dismounting his newly mounted hen. He has recently started to chase my girlfriend around. he is yet to boogie down next to my GF, but she is weary of having him attack her legs.

i will use this advice to have her drive away his attempts to peck at her. i told her it was something she is going to have to take care of soon because it will just get worse if she runs from him.

thanks again.

My Roo is also aggressive. He does the angry pants dance to ANYBODY new or that is not in the family. He will attack legs and feet, he is an EE bantam 19 wks. He is also doing that shuffle sideways slide with his wing down to us when we try to touch him and he will peck and grab your hand. He is also mean to the others jumps on them and pulls out feathers, When I grab him up after doing that and carry him around he will settle but let him go and its off to find hid next victim. He even tries that with the turkeys,, yea he doesnt get away with that at all.. He is only scared of one roo my sebrite bantam who tries his hardest to protect everyone. When he hears someone squawking he runs to the rescue and chases off the attacker.. I really like the aggressive roo because he was the first of the chicks when I brought them home that would sit on my lap and go to sleep. If I have to cull I will because I dont want him to continue hurting my others and/ or peopple once he gets spurs... I love what sourland suggested so I will try that.. Any other suggestions?????

My Roo is also aggressive. He does the angry pants dance to ANYBODY new or that is not in the family. He will attack legs and feet, he is an EE bantam 19 wks. He is also doing that shuffle sideways slide with his wing down to us when we try to touch him and he will peck and grab your hand. He is also mean to the others jumps on them and pulls out feathers, When I grab him up after doing that and carry him around he will settle but let him go and its off to find hid next victim. He even tries that with the turkeys,, yea he doesnt get away with that at all.. He is only scared of one roo my sebrite bantam who tries his hardest to protect everyone. When he hears someone squawking he runs to the rescue and chases off the attacker.. I really like the aggressive roo because he was the first of the chicks when I brought them home that would sit on my lap and go to sleep. If I have to cull I will because I dont want him to continue hurting my others and/ or peopple once he gets spurs... I love what sourland suggested so I will try that.. Any other suggestions?????
I don't know about the other hens, but when my rooster, Elvis, started attacking me, I was able to grab him, hold him down on the ground for a a couple of minutes, and then carried him around a few more. This showed him who was boss and I've had no more problem from him. Good luck!

I don't know about the other hens, but when my rooster, Elvis, started attacking me, I was able to grab him, hold him down on the ground for a a couple of minutes, and then carried him around a few more. This showed him who was boss and I've had no more problem from him. Good luck!
Wow it has been abit since I have seen this thread, thank you so much for the tip. I almost have him over it but maybe this last bit of advice is the cherry on top
thumbsup.gif

I call my roo Lord of the Dance. He does his little irish dancing bit with the dropped wing when he is courting the ladies. It looks like he stumbles a little when he does this, like he's a had a few too many. He has never attacked me, he does this only to the girls. My boy is not human aggressive. It's kind of like... "Hey lookit mah moooves. Whatcha think of me now? Can I hop on?" Usually my hens ignore him and walk away. He then pretends he didn't care if she was looking. Then he finds a bug and calls her over, and does the dance again. Then she lets him mount. He eventually will figure out that he needs to take her out for dinner AND dancing before she submits.

edit- It seems like my roo doesn't see me as a chicken. To him, I'm only the food/treat lady and poop scooper. I give him a handful of scratch, and he calls his girls over. After I put fresh shavings down, he fluffs them up for the girls. I try to not pet the back of his hens when he is watching. I do my health checks in the dark when everyone is on the roosts. I don't know if this helps or not. I have had a few roosters that were not nice. I gave them away or utilized their meat. I don't tolerate aggressive behavior from roosters. I have a 7 yr old boy, and have taught him to walk slowly around the chickens and not to yell. He too does not pick up the girls. He helps collect eggs and bring treats. I never let him near the chickens unattended.

Last edited:
Wow it has been abit since I have seen this thread, thank you so much for the tip. I almost have him over it but maybe this last bit of advice is the cherry on top
thumbsup.gif
Did it work? I know it works with mine, but am curious if this works with other roos.

Back
Top Bottom