Rooster fight! HELP!!

Looks like the Roo needed a friend .... Thank the Lord you found the hen !! ........you need a drink ........
lol.png

I can't believe your roo survived those injuries! YOu are a wonderful chicken mama, I would have put him down, thinking there was no way he would recover!

I do second other people's comments about predators. Are you sure something wasn't reaching a paw through fencing or anything, and those boys were fighting to protect their hens? I have rooster and turkey toms fight all the time and rarely do they hurt each other. Certainly hard to believe they could break beaks and rip up combs.

We used to raise our meat birds in moveable crates. They wre so heavy, nothing could lift them up to get under. But on a warm night, the birds would pile up against the fenced in side (there was a side that was solid to protect from wind, rain and sun) and we often found ones with scratches and gouges and even bites missing from them, but no critter had gotten in, they were reaching through the wire. They did some decent damage that way. These were meat birds, and were pertty young. If it had been hens, and adult roos, I bet those roos would have tried to fight back. I've lost a few roos that way.

We haven't had rats (I hope we never do) but I've heard that the damage they can do is astounding, and you;d think it was a much bigger predator. We'd be in big trouble if there were rats in our area. We have penty of mice, attracted by the chicken feeders, and they can get into anything, but they don't attack the birds. I can't imagine if rats were following suit...

here are a couple pictures, my camera isn't doing to well, and im not sure why they are sideways! lol But as you can see he is looking much better, comb has completely healed up and his back is about 85%. The nasty dead skin in the picture has since fallen off, this was taken the day before yesterday. The only thing that still concerns me is his beak...it almost looks like it is growing back like a duck bill. But he is eating and drinking fine! I want to thank everyone again for your thoughts and prayers! It has been a long haul for him and I!!
105156_img_20111005_131719.jpg

105156_img_20111005_131817.jpg

Quote:
We pretty much decided it must have been a raccoon or some type of predator. We have predator proofed the pen since this! So unless the little attackers come packing tools they aren't getting in!! We are still keeping him inside though. He just moved out to the barn the day before yesterday. He had been in my bathroom and I think he was more than ready to get out! We are taking it slow! And he is loving being able to scratch and peck around his inside pen we built him in the barn! I also forgot to tell everyone his name! Every time I posted I was thinking of a million things! But CHIEF is doing great!!

Wow - just came upon this thread and read it from start to finish. Holy cow, you and Chief have been through it! I'm so glad to read his outcome - and so impressed with the great and timely information that was shared. I'm so sorry you lost your other roo, but am really glad that Chief is doing so well. I hope everything continues the way it's going - congrats to both of you!

Quote:
Thank you so much!! It has been a tough journey!! I am SO pleased with how he is doing and I am VERY happy with the avian vet I chose!! Everyone on here has been so helpful and I am so glad I posted on here when It first happened!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom