Rooster Fight!!

Farmgal101

Crowing
May 29, 2017
All my chickens are Easter eggers and about two years old.I have had these roosters since chicks and they grew up together.They are now just starting to fight and I noticed this to late.Im assuming that my other rooster is more dominate and im thinking about using him for meat now that he has turned aggressive all of a sudden.I have culled a chicken for meat before but i was with two old farmers that knew what they were doing.Ill worry about that rooster later. Both rooster have been separated from each other and the hens.Ill put the one with eye injury back with hens once he is better.I have collide silver that i used on the chickens a while back when they had avian pox,but not sure if i should use that.Any ideas?

Attachments

• CHICKEN EYE.jpg
    CHICKEN EYE.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 19
All my chickens are Easter eggers and about two years old.I have had these roosters since chicks and they grew up together.They are now just starting to fight and I noticed this to late.Im assuming that my other rooster is more dominate and im thinking about using him for meat now that he has turned aggressive all of a sudden.I have culled a chicken for meat before but i was with two old farmers that knew what they were doing.Ill worry about that rooster later. Both rooster have been separated from each other and the hens.Ill put the one with eye injury back with hens once he is better.I have collide silver that i used on the chickens a while back when they had avian pox,but not sure if i should use that.Any ideas?

Greetings Farmgal101,

I have used colloidal silver with great success on many injuries, but never on the eyes. Usually, I use Terramycin or a Triple Antibiotic Ophthalmic ointment, for eye injuries.

However, I have read of many good results using Colloidal Silver on eye infections!

I'd be very interested to hear about your experience with Colloidal Silver for the eyes.

God Bless :)

Greetings Farmgal101,

I have used colloidal silver with great success on many injuries, but never on the eyes. Usually, I use Terramycin or a Triple Antibiotic Ophthalmic ointment, for eye injuries.

However, I have read of many good results using Colloidal Silver on eye infections!

I'd be very interested to hear about your experience with Colloidal Silver for the eyes.

Thanks for the help....I will be testing it out.

Greetings Farmgal101,

I can tag some more experienced people but I’m not sure what you could do so sorry about your Roos hope they get better

@oldhenlikesdogs @Hen Pen Jem @happyhens1972 @speckledhen @azygous @casportpony
Update:The eye has opened up some....I hope he isnt blind in that eye it it looks like it though...That could be because it hasn't healed yet though

Any antibiotic ointment will work on eye injuries as has been pointed out.

You can tell if an eye no longer functions by shining a light on it and watching to see if it contracts. Also, chicken eyes work independent of each other, so moving an object on the side of his head will tell you if the eye is following it. Sometimes a blind eye will appear milky.

Since the right eye is injured on your roo, his near vision will be sacrificed. This may make it more difficult to compete for food, but he will still have the left eye to help him see danger from a distance which is what the left eye does.

Update:The eye has opened up some....I hope he isnt blind in that eye it it looks like it though...That could be because it hasn't healed yet though

If you treat the eye, you will give the best possible chance for a good healing. It will be about two weeks, before you you will be able to tell if he'll have vision in that eye. The main thing is to prevent infection in the eye; secondary infection, such as upper respiratory is also a threat during healing.

If you chose to do nothing, it may still heal. But, chances for vision will be very low.

If he is already opening the eye, it may look worse than it is. That would be a very good thing!

God's Blessings and good health to you and your rooster. :thumbsup

Any antibiotic ointment will work on eye injuries as has been pointed out.

You can tell if an eye no longer functions by shining a light on it and watching to see if it contracts. Also, chicken eyes work independent of each other, so moving an object on the side of his head will tell you if the eye is following it. Sometimes a blind eye will appear milky.

Since the right eye is injured on your roo, his near vision will be sacrificed. This may make it more difficult to compete for food, but he will still have the left eye to help him see danger from a distance which is what the left eye does.
Thanks for the advice...It does look milky ill do the light idea

If you treat the eye, you will give the best possible chance for a good healing. It will be about two weeks, before you you will be able to tell if he'll have vision in that eye. The main thing is to prevent infection in the eye; secondary infection, such as upper respiratory is also a threat during healing.

If you chose to do nothing, it may still heal. But, chances for vision will be very low.

If he is already opening the eye, it may look worse than it is. That would be a very good thing!

God's Blessings and good health to you and your rooster. :thumbsup
Thank you!Im going to try out the collide silver on it and ill keep updating you guys once it gets better:)

Back
Top Bottom