Pics

RoostersAreAwesome

Enabler
6 Years
May 21, 2017
This is the new and improved rooster flock thread! Come here to learn and talk about rooster flocks, give advice, or simply share your experience with rooster flocks! I will try to answer any questions about rooster flocks (and roosters in general), and I encourage others to do so as well!

If you already have a rooster flock, feel free to share some pictures of your roos! If you don't, but are interested in starting one, you should first check out my article, then ask any questions that you have on here.

My rooster flock article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/rooster-flocks.72998/ (if you have any suggestions, ideas, or complaints about my article, please comment and tell me).

The original rooster flock thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rooster-flocks.1174877/

IMG_20171025_132655061_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I kind of have a rooster flock ended up with 5 roosters and not enough hens they are all 8 months and have wonderful personalities more sociable than my hens lol so these boys each have a few girls and everyone's happy
I think the best thing about roosters is watching these kids become protectors and providers and all the changes they go through

Last edited:
My roosters are within sight of hens. When first introduced into the rooster flock, you will get some arguments that may end up quite bloody. Once the roosters learn their place within the flock, they can learn to get along-but you have to have enough space. Occasionally you will get that one rooster who will not fit in and cause constant drama. Those must be dealt with as you see fit.

My roosters are within sight of hens. When first introduced into the rooster flock, you will get some arguments that may end up quite bloody. Once the roosters learn their place within the flock, they can learn to get along-but you have to have enough space. Occasionally you will get that one rooster who will not fit in and cause constant drama. Those must be dealt with as you see fit.
Yup. When they were in the chicken tractor we call it the "bachelor coop" the Ameraucana roos didn't like eachother, but got along within sight of the hens. Then we let them out into the hens, and the Ameraucanas got into a big fight, and we separated them into cages but kept one out. Big mistake. One KILLED the other. My most interesting story working with chickens. So they will fight if they are in cages with the hens, they need a different place entirely.

I kind of have a rooster flock ended up with 5 roosters and not enough hens they are all 6 months and have wonderful personalities more sociable than my hens lol so these boys each have a few girls and everyone's happy
I think the best thing about roosters is watching these kids become protectors and providers and all the changes they go through
That sounds like a lot of different pens. One reason I started my rooster flock was because I didn't have enough pens to separate all my roosters. :lol:
If i were to separate the rooster(within sight and hearing range)of my hens would they fight and would it be possible to selectively breed them, take one rooster put it in, than take it out?
It's fine for them to be within sight and hearing range of the hens, it just makes it a little easier if they can't see them. If you continually took a roo out of the pen and added a roo back in, it might become a little stressful as the roosters would continually fight upon the new rooster's arrival.
Good advice! :D I've noticed these things as well.
Yup. When they were in the chicken tractor we call it the "bachelor coop" the Ameraucana roos didn't like eachother, but got along within sight of the hens. Then we let them out into the hens, and the Ameraucanas got into a big fight, and we separated them into cages but kept one out. Big mistake. One KILLED the other. My most interesting story working with chickens. So they will fight if they are in cages with the hens, they need a different place entirely.
They probably started fighting because they wanted to have the hens for themselves. That's why roosters usually don't fight as much in a rooster flock, because there's no hens to fight over.

I would really like to have to have 2 coops instead of 7 lol
My cockereld are almost 8 months and all huge
When they see each other or other hens that aren't there's they act like baboons which is making it hard. My goal is happy hens in one coop and baboons in other coop
Any advise on initial intruduction of these boys?
I tried 2 cockerals on neutral ground to test lol they did the mating dance and tidbiting and one attacked so I broke it up
Thanks a bunch for any advise

Last edited:
I would really like to have to have 2 coops instead of 7 lol
My cockeral are almost 8 months and all huge
When they see each other or other hens that aren't there's they act like baboons which is making it hard. My goal is happy hens in one coop and baboons in other coop
Any advise on initial intruduction of these boys?
I tried 2 cockerals on neutral ground to test lol they did the mating dance and tidbiting and one attacked so I broke it up
Thanks a bunch for any advise
When introduced, they will fight. It is part of the natural chicken pecking order. To minimize the fighting, introduce them while they're free-ranging so they can get away from each other, and keep the hens locked up. Or, you could put them all in crates within a coop so they can see each other, then let them all out after a couple days.

I'm introducing some younger Cockerels into my rooster flock today. I have them in a separate cage so they can still see each other. They won't all be together for too long, I just long enough for me to choose which ones are going in my breeding pens, which will be back ups and which will be culls.

My question is, what are people feeding their rooster flocks? Mine all under 4 months, and they're still eating medicated 18% chick feed. I know the extra calcium in layer feed isn't good for them, so do you go to meat grower? My oldest birds just started dropping weight over the last two weeks, but no one is fighting...

Attachments

• IMG_20180227_105532806.jpg
    IMG_20180227_105532806.jpg
    761.6 KB · Views: 81

Back
Top Bottom