Pics
I recently decided to remove one of my roos from the rooster flock. This rooster was relentlessly bullying his flockmates, and was making it difficult to interact with my other roosters due to his aggressiveness towards humans. (I do suspect that part of the bullying problem was the size of the coop, but there's unfortunately no way I can expand it right now.)
My newest addition, a cockerel named Chester, is fully integrated into the flock now that Domino (bully roo) is in his own pen. I find it interesting that the other roosters pick on Chester a lot less now that Domino, who was also the leader of the flock, is not there.

Hey Rooster People, My memory needs a jump start, and I could use some help finding an article here on BYC.
Some time ago, there was an absolutely WONDERFUL article posted on how to retrain an aggressive rooster by reminding him that the people in his world are alpha, not him. The gist was that you need to act like a bigger rooster (flap and walk and not give way; don't let him crow; that kind of stuff.) It was a clear, well written and extremely effective article on aggressive rooster behavior - the best I've come across, yet. I thought I had bookmarked it, but now I can't find it ... and I have a friend who desperately needs it! Does ANYONE remember who wrote it and where it's hiding here on BYC?
Please!

Some recent pictures of the roo flock:
P_20190112_150406_1.jpg
P_20190112_150344_1.jpg
P_20190112_131510.jpg
P_20190112_123317_vHDR_Auto.jpg
P_20190112_122618_vHDR_Auto.jpg
P_20190112_122416_vHDR_Auto.jpg

@MROO did you ever find that article?
No, I didn't find the exact article, but I did find a similar one that is nearly as good. Take a look at this one on "The Happy Chicken Coop."

https://www.thehappychickencoop.com/aggressive-roosters/

This is pretty much how I handle my problem (aka teenage!) roos. So far, so good. I only have one who needs periodic reminders, and that doesn't take more than one good "fluff and stomp" stare-down session. I haven't figured out yet if he's smart enough to keep testing me or just too dumb to learn the lesson properly ... but he's a Silkie, so I'm definitely leaning toward the latter!

Back
Top Bottom