Rooster has bare spot on neck

Could you please explain what you mean about checking the other birds? Also where and how should I check for mites? I kinda did on a couple of them but didn't see anything.
Check them all over in the same spot as the rooster is bald. You're looking for what could be the start of what he gots.
Any warm places.

Check them all over in the same spot as the rooster is bald. You're looking for what could be the start of what he gots.
Any warm places.
Just little black dots? And are you sure the rooster has mites? I didn't see any on him when I checked 2 days ago.

Just little black dots? And are you sure the rooster has mites? I didn't see any on him when I checked 2 days ago.
No, that's where he's been plucked. I'm saying do a mite check because that can sometimes be a reason for balding, though I doubt that's the case. I'm thinking flock mates plucked him.

No, that's where he's been plucked. I'm saying do a mite check because that can sometimes be a reason for balding, though I doubt that's the case. I'm thinking flock mates plucked him.
Ok.....I'm also thinking boredom. :hmm
I recently measured the chicken run and did the math with my current flock and it turns out that each bird has 16.5 sq footage of space. What could be wrong?

Ok.....I'm also thinking boredom. :hmm
I recently measured the chicken run and did the math with my current flock and it turns out that each bird has 16.5 sq footage of space. What could be wrong?
Possibly.
Cannibalism doesn't care about space.... What started it is the question. I'd question the feed first. Go up to the highest protein level grain as possible. I'd have them on layer pellets by now, though some wouldn't agree.

Possibly.
Cannibalism doesn't care about space.... What started it is the question. I'd question the feed first. Go up to the highest protein level grain as possible. I'd have them on layer pellets by now, though some wouldn't agree.
I was told I could keep them on grower/starter and oyster shell their entire lives because I had a rooster in the flock and it would work perfectly fine.

I was told I could keep them on grower/starter and oyster shell their entire lives because I had a rooster in the flock and it would work perfectly fine.
No. You can, but shouldn't. I've fed layer pellets to rooster before, and they were fine. The protein is more important. Whenever my birds didn't have the layer pellets early, I had problems, and some wasn't to be fixed...

No. You can, but shouldn't. I've fed layer pellets to rooster before, and they were fine. The protein is more important. Whenever my birds didn't have the layer pellets early, I had problems, and some wasn't to be fixed...
Ok. I'll switch asap. Is it ok to give them layer crumble at first since they're used to crumble?

Ok. I'll switch asap. Is it ok to give them layer crumble at first since they're used to crumble?
I wean them. Just a little of pellets mixed in at first, then add a little bit more every feeder fill time. (One scoop to first feeder time, then two, then three, until they're completely switched.)

Back
Top Bottom