Rooster has bare spot on neck

I've been doing the layer pellets with roosters for years with no problems. It's when I did something different I had problems. :idunno
I have no experience with older roosters on layer pellets or crumble. But many people say they can get kidney problems after a few years. Please be careful with what you advice.
Starter is okay as long as the pullets don’t lay.

Feather picking often starts in a stressful environment. In small coops and small runs without hiding places.
Make sure the chickens have plenty of room and can hide behind obstacles, bushes, boxes or whatever you can put/make in the run. Or even better let the chickens truly free range if it’s safe enough.

I can't decide :barnie

If you are feeding chick starter grower, that has more protein in it than layer. Check your feed bag or look it up. Most chick starter grower is 18-20% protein. Layer is 16%% most of the time. I had a rooster in my flock that had layer feed about half the time. He lived a long life with no issues. But if you prefer to switch to an allflock/flock raiser feed that is 20%, you should offer crushed oyster shell in a separate container than the feed. Crumbles or pellets, it doesn’t matter. If you change do it gradually over a week or so, with a little of each in the feeders. Everyone has different opinions on feeding roosters layer feed. Much higher protein can indeed cause gout in roosters. That can lead to arthritis and kidney damage, but one would need to feed 30% or more. I always fed flock raiser to my chickens when I had young chicks and juveniles. Layer can be introduced when they are close to laying, and that varies with breeds. At 20 weeks was what I did. Some start at 16 weeks if they have hybrids that can start laying early. But if you have crushed oyster shell available, you can feed all flock or layer.

Back
Top Bottom