rooster indeed?

cameroneil

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
hello chicken peeps,

so i bought the following lovely chicken at the local feed/farm store back in june. she was billed as an ameraucana, and the label on the chick dispenser (for lack of better term) said "pullets - will lay greenish blue eggs." so i got a what i thought was a pullet who would eventually lay greenish blue eggs, right? and my whole conception of this chicken is that she is a she, and i've been anxiously awaiting the commencement of the laying as she's about that age at this point.

HOWEVER. yesterday i posted a picture of tumblr in my blog, and a highly informed member of this forum told me without a doubt that SHE is a HE, and there will be no eggs! just beautiful rooster-being, crowings, and fertile eggs from the other ladies. i believe the forum member for sure, but because this is a major paradigm shift for me, i wanted to just get some confirmation from others. so....is tumblr a rooster, no doubt?

87563_dscn0607.jpg

it IS true that 'she' has been doing some strange things that the other hens don't do, like jumping up in the air with her claws extended and neck feathers all poofed. she did peck my elbow in a friendly but testing way yesterday. and, of course, what i was thinking was a very enthusiastic cluck may well be the first crows of a young, upwardly mobile cock.

will he get bigger? will he be my best friend? will he protect the other ladies? will he get louder (i hope not)? what is the likelyhood that he will father eggs who become blue-egg-laying chickens? so many mysteries!

i feel kind of silly.
smile.png

No doubt about it. 100% cockerel. You sure won't be getting eggs from that one... He sure is a looker though! I'd keep him and find out answers to all your questions that way.
tongue.png

He has spurs on his legs. I think that makes him a roo but I am not sure!
Very pretty though!

Quote:
Actually spurs don't indicate gender. Lots of follks on here have hens with spurs -- and some of those hens could put a roo to shame! The best way to tell if he's a boy is by the long slender pointed saddle feathers at the base of his tail and the skinny shiny pointed hackle feathers on his neck. Those feathers on hens are rounded at the tip.
smile.png

A nice looking EE Rooster. As far as his personality, that can only be told with observation. Every rooster is different. Some roosters crow all the time others don't, so then again it will depend on the rooster. For you to get possible blue eggs from his offspring...the hens that you breed to him will need to lay white eggs. Since we won't know what color eggs he would have laid if he would have been a she. Lets just say it would have been Green. I'm not all into the genetics, but have a simple understanding. Brown + Blue genes= Green eggs. White + White genes= White eggs. So crossing the two you should have a 50% chance for Brown egg layers and 50% chance for Blue egg layers. As White is only White if there are two of the White genes. Make any sense?

Back
Top Bottom