Rooster Issues

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Confused Chick, May 30, 2017.

1. Confused Chick

Confused Chick New Egg

May 30, 2017
    A while ago we got a 2/3 year old rooster. Up until recently we had no problems with him. Our chickens are just for personal use as such and are somewhere between pets and egg layers. So we would usually spend a while in their pen talking to them and petting them. That is until our rooster decided he was the boss. He started off with charging and attacking the youngest kid (12) and on one occasion he clung onto her leg. Suffice to say she's terrified of him. Then a while after that he decided to start on me. He hasn't had the chance to grab me but does run at me and if given the chance would love to get at my legs. So naturally I did some research. But I have no idea how to stop this behaviour. He's preventing us from even going into the coop to feed them or collect eggs and quite frankly he's on a steady path to soup. Of course we'd like to keep him but he's far too dangerous. From what I've read, most people take one of two paths. Either show your dominance by acting as a rooster which definitely is not working with him. Or pick him up and carry him around. Which is impossible since you can't get near him anymore. I have picked him up before he started this and he was fine, but there's no hope of approaching him now.
    Any advice is very welcome.
    Thanks!

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Try rehabilitating,several things across the internet.If it doesn't work once,he might as well be culled,probably is not gonna train,how old is he?

3. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like he's started to see you as a danger to his hens. There isn't much you can do to stop an aggressive roo unfortunately.

4. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    any flogging roo I've ever had has gone into the freezer... very difficult to break and honestly I don't want that temperament passed on to future generations

5. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    you may want to read this thread :#15

mustangrooster likes this.
  6. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    yes but if I took the time to rehab every floggy rooster nothing would ever get done lol

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  7. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Who ever said every rooster, she has one. She may have the time and patience,just wait and see what she has to say, how she feels.

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Since a child is involved I would get rid of the rooster. All roosters are individuals. Some you can train. Some you can't as they will wait until your back is turned and get ya!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    NO good reason ever, to keep a BAD rooster. He needs to swim with noodles in the soup pot asap. Roosters are especially dangerous to children because they are closer to the ground. Children have gotten bad eye inuries from them and or course infected wounds from being "spurred."

You have listed other ways he has ruined your pleasure of having chickens. Your hens will thank you once he is gone. They will continue to lay just as many eggs (or even more) without him Harassing them

Reading his his rights, will not help the matter. He needs to be GONE. There are so many worthwhile roosters seeing a good home, it's a buyers market. It's even easier to love a well behaved rooster .

IF you don't not need fertile eggs or hatching or sale, there isn't any reason to keep a rooster period.

Hillaire likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by