Rooster Issues

Confused Chick

Hatching
May 30, 2017
A while ago we got a 2/3 year old rooster. Up until recently we had no problems with him. Our chickens are just for personal use as such and are somewhere between pets and egg layers. So we would usually spend a while in their pen talking to them and petting them. That is until our rooster decided he was the boss. He started off with charging and attacking the youngest kid (12) and on one occasion he clung onto her leg. Suffice to say she's terrified of him. Then a while after that he decided to start on me. He hasn't had the chance to grab me but does run at me and if given the chance would love to get at my legs. So naturally I did some research. But I have no idea how to stop this behaviour. He's preventing us from even going into the coop to feed them or collect eggs and quite frankly he's on a steady path to soup. Of course we'd like to keep him but he's far too dangerous. From what I've read, most people take one of two paths. Either show your dominance by acting as a rooster which definitely is not working with him. Or pick him up and carry him around. Which is impossible since you can't get near him anymore. I have picked him up before he started this and he was fine, but there's no hope of approaching him now.
Any advice is very welcome.
Thanks!

Try rehabilitating,several things across the internet.If it doesn't work once,he might as well be culled,probably is not gonna train,how old is he?

Who ever said every rooster, she has one. She may have the time and patience,just wait and see what she has to say, how she feels.

Since a child is involved I would get rid of the rooster. All roosters are individuals. Some you can train. Some you can't as they will wait until your back is turned and get ya!

NO good reason ever, to keep a BAD rooster. He needs to swim with noodles in the soup pot asap. Roosters are especially dangerous to children because they are closer to the ground. Children have gotten bad eye inuries from them and or course infected wounds from being "spurred."

You have listed other ways he has ruined your pleasure of having chickens. Your hens will thank you once he is gone. They will continue to lay just as many eggs (or even more) without him Harassing them

Reading his his rights, will not help the matter. He needs to be GONE. There are so many worthwhile roosters seeing a good home, it's a buyers market. It's even easier to love a well behaved rooster .

IF you don't not need fertile eggs or hatching or sale, there isn't any reason to keep a rooster period.

Back
Top Bottom