Rooster keeps biting my hens. 4 month old Bantam black frizzle Cochin.

Apr 24, 2020
Hello,
I have a 4 month old bantam frizzle Cochin rooster mixed with my flock of 11 4-5 month old chickens and one other rooster that is extremely docile (standard breed size).
Now the bantam bites the hens in the neck and tail area. My mother in law wants me to get rid of it but they’re my birds and I’m not sure if his actions are normal or if he’s really just being a jerk. He’s half the size of my other birds I just think of it as small man syndrome. But I’m not a chicken whisperer either. But shes a nagging individual so when she demands something of me my first instinct is to disregard it... Nothing like in laws.. lol so help me!!
:barnie:barnie:barnie

He's probably trying to mate. He just doesn't have the hang of it at 4 months.
Have you experienced chicken mating behavior?
No this is my first round about with a rooster in a flock. He’s not drawing blood or ripping out feathers. But he bites and the chicken make a terrible sound .. that’s pretty much what I was thinking was going on plus he’s about half there size. Lol

Roosters grab the back of a pullet's/hen's neck or the comb and climb aboard trying to get them to squat and raise their tail so they can mate up their cloacas.
I've even seen a hen that had part of her comb ripped off by a rooster.
Sounds vicious.. so what would you suggest just watching out for obvious injury and letting them do there thing or what? Lol. Nothing like your first rodeo. 🤣🤣

I don't do anything other than try to keep from having too many roosters with too few hens.
They will eventually make the hens barebacked from mating and the feathers don't grow back till after molt.
It is vicious. It reminds me more of rape - certainly not lovemaking.
I guess you've never seen horses, seals, lions, tigers, bedbugs and quolls mate.

I don't do anything other than try to keep from having too many roosters with too few hens.
They will eventually make the hens barebacked from mating and the feathers don't grow back till after molt.
It is vicious. It reminds me more of rape - certainly not lovemaking.
Should I get chicken saddles? I think I seen something about anti mounting chicken saddles somewhere..

I was gifted a couple many years ago and have yet to use them. I doubt with a single cockerel that it would be necessary.
How many pullets and hens do you have?

I have one bantam and one standard Plymouth white rock cockerels although the standard one doesn’t crow or anything. I have 11 pullers plus two more pullets I have been putting off introducing to the flock because I’m stressed about the girls being violent towards each other.

No this is my first round about with a rooster in a flock.
Hi there. :frow

I agree that it is likely standard mating or pecking order behavior.

I think it's more like assault or forced copulation than rape. And it's not being perpetrated by a rooster.. but rather a hormonal teenage idiot that has yet to learn the skill off serenading, treat calling, and wing shuffle dancing to ask permission and earn the right to mate.. that matures sexually slightly ahead of the gals. Once he mature he stop running around and flipping their skirts up... or at least he should!

Ultimately if you're gonna keep a boy, all the ladies will have to submit to him. The ones who refuse to mate often get shunned, pecked away from feed and treats, and sometimes chased out of the flock... EVERY flocks mileage WILL vary.. as all chickens are individuals. Many folks use look but don;t touch to introduce flocks easily and successfully.

Since I have many boys growing out all the time, I use a stag pen to let them mature before getting access to the ladies. It makes a HUGE difference. I MIGHT separate the two boys into a bachelor pad.. for a bit.. if you separate them from each other.. it will be hard to reintegrate them together.

Or as long as there isn't too much competitive mating where they are both holding down and taking turn on the weakest girl over and over.. and no one is getting injured.. then.. Just make sure there are plenty of escape routes and no place to really get cornered.

Saddles is NOT the answer IMO.. As helmets would be required to prevent head balding.. which I have seen..
1600542317020.png

but time out before it gets that bad would be MY personal preference.
https://www.amazon.com/Headwear-Headgear-Costumes-Accessories-Suitable/dp/B07WRYY1P4

Anyone who cause balding issues... needs a longs hot soak with some aromatic veggies to take the edge off! An make NO mistakes.. (some) stags all together WILL mount each other ALSO! :drool

Back
Top Bottom