Rooster laying down alot and moving head and neck erratically

kperki

Songster
6 Years
Jun 19, 2014
Central Coast, California
My rooster started acting off last week. I noticed him laying down a few times during the day and he normally does not do that. I am not sure of his age maybe 3 yrs old. Today he was laying down 90% of the day. When I fed treats this afternoon he came over and was eating. He started moving his neck and head up and down an to the sides, really weird movements that I have never seen him do.He was also having a hard time standing up it seemed. I caught him and put him in the kennel in the garage away from every one. I checked and did not see any mites. His crop felt fine. His comb looked slightly dry. Two weeks ago he was wormed with Panacur and the second treatment was given one week ago. I do not know if this is causing a problem or what??? He was wormed with the same medication 8 mths ago and no problems.
Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated we love this boy!!
Thanks

The movements sound like there could be a neurological symptom. Make sure that he is getting plenty of water to drink, since dehydration may be a problem. There can be some crop adjustment that may look odd, but if this is repetitive, then I would start some poultry vitamins in his water or food containing B vitamins and vitamin E. Some egg given daily would supply some selenium. If a vet is available they may have some better luck at diagnosing his illness.

Last edited:
Thank You. I am giving him a combination of liquid drench, some aloe vera & some dragons blood. I just gave him that and I gave him also at least 20 droppers full of water and I also gave him some oxytetracycline HCI antibiotic mixed in water. His crop seemed a little drier so I am going to give him more droppers full of water through out the day so I am not doing to much at once. When I put him back in the kennel he seemed a little wobbly..
I don't think liquid drench has B vits in it so I will get some of that.
Do you think the worm medicine could have done anything to him even tho he had it before?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom