Rooster leg injury.. scaly leg mites??

Surbhi

Chirping
Jul 8, 2020
I believe my bantam rooster may have had an encounter with a predator about two weeks ago as we found him with a bloody comb inside the coop. We cleaned up the comb but I think his leg may have also been injured because I’ve noticed that he’s been avoiding running and jumping lately. He’s also stopped crowing. However he’s been eating drinking and mating normally, just doesn’t run anymore. I did notice some raised scales yesterday so I plan on treating the flock for scaly leg mites today but could this be a broken leg or sprain? If so should I let it heal by itself? I tried inspecting his legs and they seemed “normal” although he does have feathered legs so it was hard to really figure anything out. I should also add that it’s been going from very warm to very cold where we are so could this have something to do with frostbite? I’m very new to this if you couldn’t tell :(

Examine his toes. See if any are discolored or swollen. Frost bite makes obvious changes to tissue you can't miss.

It's possible he's got a bit of hypothermia going on. Wild temperature extremes can be very hard on chickens, and it can cause mysterious lameness.

Give him a cup of warm water with one teaspoon of sugar to drink all day today. See if it improves the strength in his leg. You might also treat for a B-2 deficiency with a B-complex tablet each day for a few weeks and watch for improvement.

Also be sure to check the bottom of his feet for injury or a black scab that is a sign of an infection called bumblefoot. In fact I recommend checking everyone's feet for bumblefoot every few weeks because it can be a real hassle to get healed if you don't catch it soon enough and chickens often don't show they have a problem until it is getting bad.

Back
Top Bottom