Rooster limping, sitting all day

kyron4

Chirping
Apr 9, 2019
Northern Indiana
As reported in another post, my dog got a hold of my Buff Orp rooster. Mostly feathers under the tail pulled out and some scuffs and abrasions. Been treating it with topical poultry spray and neosporene. The first few days he limped slightly but would move around the yard a little, now he has a very pronounced limp and hold his foot up when standing and sits just outside the coop all day. Is this just the healing process ? Is there anything else I can do ? The leg doesn't feel broken. How much time should it take to recover ? Any advice ? -Thanks

Do you know what area of his leg is sore? Can you see any swelling, green bruising, redness or displacement of the boens in the entire foot and leg? As you can see in the picture below, the leg extends up to the backbone. There could be a fracture, a sprain, or dislocation. Resting the leg and preventing jumping up and down from roosts might help, but if you can get a vet to xray it, you might find out more. It can takes several weeks of forced rest to heal a sprain. Splinting may be done if you can locate a broken bone.

upload_2019-10-23_18-49-43.jpeg

As reported in another post, my dog got a hold of my Buff Orp rooster. Mostly feathers under the tail pulled out and some scuffs and abrasions. Been treating it with topical poultry spray and neosporene. The first few days he limped slightly but would move around the yard a little, now he has a very pronounced limp and hold his foot up when standing and sits just outside the coop all day. Is this just the healing process ? Is there anything else I can do ? The leg doesn't feel broken. How much time should it take to recover ? Any advice ? -Thanks

Hi-my rooster was attacked by a neighbors dog, and his tail feathers were ripped out. We inspected him and cleaned him up. For the last 3 days he was doing fine-had a tiny limp. Now-he won’t come out of the coop and falls over. It’s sounds similar to your situation, so I was wondering what ended up happening to your rooster? Is it part of the healing process?

Back
Top Bottom