Rooster limping???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CharlotteRenee, Oct 18, 2015.

1. CharlotteRenee

CharlotteRenee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    Hampden MA
    Hey one of our roosters seems to have a small limp and a swollen foot. we have checked for bumble foot but it doesn't look like he has it. I don't know what to do. I would really appreciate any advice or help! Thanks!

2. Ameraucanas

Ameraucanas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
  3. CharlotteRenee

Mar 31, 2015
    Hampden MA
    Thank you I will check out that link!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could you possibly show a picture? Where is it swollen--in the joint or between toes or on the bottom of the foot? Is he holding his leg up or is he dragging it?

5. CharlotteRenee

Mar 31, 2015
    Hampden MA
    [​IMG] I think the one on the right is a bit bigger. Also he is holding it up not dragging, and he seems to be laying down most of the time.

6. CharlotteRenee

Mar 31, 2015
    Hampden MA
    Any ideas???

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks a little thicker in the joint. Two possibilities could be a sprain (more likely) or a mycoplasma (MS) infection in the bones. First, I would place him in a pen with food and water, and give some poultry vitamins/minerals for at least a week. Then evaluate his walking, and if still limping, give him another week of rest. With mycoplasma synovitis, that is a bacterial respiratory disease that may only have joint swelling or lameness as the symptoms. Sometimes they can develop a breast blister from lying down most of the time. MS is treated withTylan, oxytetracycline, and other antibiotics. Here is a link or two about it:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/99/mycoplasma-synoviae-infection-ms-infectious-synovitis/
    http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/p...nfection_in_poultry_infectious_synovitis.html

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    mycoplasma synovitis

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by