Rooster lost spur and is...

lilshadow

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
Milaca, MN
bleeding. My rooster just ripped off his spur somehow, he is bleeding. I can't catch him to take care of it. Is he going to be okay, and what can I do for it. I have antiseptic wash I picked up from the vet. I am just afraid that the others will start pecking at him.

Put some corn starch into the point where it's bleeding if you do eventually catch him. If it doesn't work right away then reapply it. It will stop fairly soon unless it's way down into the cuticle part. I keep a bird net handy as i have to catch my breeder parrots sometimes and it comes in handy for catchin shikkins that dont like to be caught. lol. I doubt you need to do anything else like antibiotic ointment. Roosters fight and this is somewhat common when they do. If they do start pecking then of course, separate him.
smile.png

Is he free range?
Is he seperate from others?
If you can catch him somehow and keep him seperate so others wont peck at him. I would put some anti-biotic ointment or blu-kote on it to keep it from getting infected. Depending on how he ripped it will depend on if you need to wrap it somehow.

He will be fine, happens vey often. Even if the others do pick at the spur it is bone and won't hurt him. The spur will grow back.

I spoke with a friend who raises chickens and sells them about this same thing not too long ago! If you can catch him apply a little cornstarch to it if not that's fine too. It is like a fingernail and is hard and has a quick. It sounds like it broke off into that quick. No need for antibiotic ointment unless you just want to put it on there.

Thanks guys, I just freaked when I saw the blood. It has stopped bleeding now, and no one seems to be bothering him. When I put him up tonight I will clean it up for him. He will only let me pick him up when it is time for bed. He stands in front of his pen, until I pick him up.

I wouldn't bother with cleaning it up. As long as the bleeding has stopped, he will be fine. I had a rooster snap off a big spur once and it sprayed blood everywhere. I almost had a heart attack. I checked him over and the bleeding stopped and he was none the wiser what had happened and healed up just fine on his own.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom