Rooster needs help

lovechickens23

Songster
8 Years
Aug 18, 2013
Hi my rooster needs help to gain wieght fast he weighs 6 pounds he a big rooster he eats allot he has no worms in poop I seen them before so I know what it looks like. He has no mits or lice I look at him. Please just give me ideays what to feed him to gain fast thanks

Canned mackerel and a high protein feed such as Flock Raiser can bulk up a rooster. If you're feeding him layer, that could be part of his problem as layer is not good for non-laying chickens.

But it seems it would be a good idea to discover why he's underweight. How old is he? Roosters at six months are only two-thirds the bulk they will be in eighteen more months.

I would take a poop sample to a vet and ask for a fecal float test. It's fast and inexpensive, and if you assure the vet you don't expect them to treat your rooster, they are often happy to do the test for around $20.

You may not see the worms in the poop, but they could still be in the intestines causing weight loss. He could also have coccidiosis, and the float test would find coccidia, too, if they're there.

If you have worms and you are losing a lot of birds please consider that throwing more food into one bird is not solving your problem. It is not advisable to try to make anything gain a lot of weight fast if you are concerned about long term health.
There is an underlying problem that needs to be addressed. Feeding the parasites higher quality protein isn't the solution.
If a vet is not an option you can take varying approaches depending on your circumstances.
Diatomaceous earth in the feed is one method of dealing with some internal parasites, and dusted externally for mites that might be causing anaemia.
Probiotics and vitamins in the water to compensate for lost nutrients and boost immunity to help them fight the parasites.
Fresh garlic and oregano oil to help them pass worms. Chaga tea for immune booster, anti inflammatory, gut healer, appetite stimulant, warmth and energy.
Treat everyone.
Clean out your coops to try to interrupt life cycle of parasites. Keep coop dry and fresh air circulation.
If you're losing birds at an increasing rate you need an immediate and thorough clean out. If you just focus on bulking up one bird when you suspect parasites you are not helping your situation overall.

If you have worms and you are losing a lot of birds please consider that throwing more food into one bird is not solving your problem. It is not advisable to try to make anything gain a lot of weight fast if you are concerned about long term health.
There is an underlying problem that needs to be addressed. Feeding the parasites higher quality protein isn't the solution.
If a vet is not an option you can take varying approaches depending on your circumstances.
Diatomaceous earth in the feed is one method of dealing with some internal parasites, and dusted externally for mites that might be causing anaemia.
Probiotics and vitamins in the water to compensate for lost nutrients and boost immunity to help them fight the parasites.
Fresh garlic and oregano oil to help them pass worms. Chaga tea for immune booster, anti inflammatory, gut healer, appetite stimulant, warmth and energy.
Treat everyone.
Clean out your coops to try to interrupt life cycle of parasites. Keep coop dry and fresh air circulation.
If you're losing birds at an increasing rate you need an immediate and thorough clean out. If you just focus on bulking up one bird when you suspect parasites you are not helping your situation overall.
Hi I do clean my barn allot it dose have windows and door to go out and I do give my chickens baths to keep clean. And what do u do with the galic and other thing u said I had chickens for years never had promblema before when I just feed them scratch feed. I will just feed them that again cuz I never had promblems.

What kind of probitics in water? Why not helping one wont help I said they dont have parasites or mits or lice I look at them what can I use to clean out hole barn I her that lice mites spray works good?? What is gut healer and what anti inflomation? And attpatite stimlation. What u mean warmth and engery

Hi. I'm sorry if I offended. I just mean that if you suspect you have parasites it is a great idea to do an additional cleaning to get rid of anything that could be holding worms or eggs that could infect the next chicken. The Diatomaceous earth from the feed store can be used anytime and then added to perches, nests, and floor litter to help control any little crawlies that there may be bothering your birds. A box of dirt and this earth for them to dust in is also a great idea.
I personally wouldnt recommend using medicated feed on anything other than baby chicks. The dose is small enough just to encourage immunity and not for treatment.

The garlic and probiotics ( same for people...multi strain from health store or pharmacy) are added to the drinking water. Same with vitamin powder from the feed store. The tea made from chaga mushroom helps as well by boosting immunity, healing intestinal issues, gives them increased body heat and energy short term. It also increases the appetite. These are all just different natural sources ideas of medication is not an option for you.

Last edited:
If you suspect worms and have seen worms just treating one bird will only help the one bird while he is confined. The rest of the flock is highly likely to have worms as well if you saw them in the droppings. Their coop is also likely to have the potential to reinfect birds you treat.
It's a lot of work but if the assistance of vet isnt an option it's necessary for the results you desire.

Hi. I'm sorry if I offended. I just mean that if you suspect you have parasites it is a great idea to do an additional cleaning to get rid of anything that could be holding worms or eggs that could infect the next chicken. The Diatomaceous earth from the feed store can be used anytime and then added to perches, nests, and floor litter to help control any little crawlies that there may be bothering your birds. A box of dirt and this earth for them to dust in is also a great idea.
I personally wouldnt recommend using medicated feed on anything other than baby chicks. The dose is small enough just to encourage immunity and not for. treatment.
ya but it help chicks who has not had shots thats why when old they get sick like my rooster it help so they dont get. Coccididiosis. I will try galic and will try earth thing. I need ideays to help my rooster gain wight how

ya but it help chicks who has not had shots thats why when old they get sick like my rooster it help so they dont get. Coccididiosis. I will try galic and will try earth thing. I need ideays to help my rooster gain wight how
These are the ways to help him gain weight. Get rid of the worms or other parasites causing their illness or you are just feeding a rapidly growing population of parasites.
You said you saw worms in the droppings and a lot of chickens have died.
I don't have any other advice than to treat your sick flock and not focus on one bird you want to bulk up quickly.

I hope you get your problem resolved.
If I have misunderstood anything perhaps someone will be along to clear it up and give you the advice you need.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom