Rooster noise and angry neighbors

ma kettle

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 10, 2008
Riverside, CA
Well the angry neighbors are my grandchildren and their parents who live in the guest cottage that happens to be next to the coop!
tongue.png
My gorgeous banty mille fleur was louder than a full size roo!! He hollered every 30 seconds from 4 am until... well, it never stopped.
sad.png
Second night I caught him and put him in a cage, put the cage in the enclosed playhouse. No one heard him but I felt sad taking Hef from his harem. So I traded him to a lady for a capon. Anyone have one? Since he is castrated, he is not aggressive at all and has not crowed once so far in 3 days. Hope this lasts. He is full grown so I don't see why not. My girls leave him alone, couldn't care less about his presence. There is really no point to having him (doesn't protect the flock and doesn't fertilize eggs), but he is gorgeous to look at. I think he is an Americana but his tail is crazy long, which I was told is another effect of no testosterone. (He also has only very tiny spurs!) Anyone else have a capon? I think the procedure is horrific but he was already done, so if he's gotta live somewhere, might as well be at my house!
wink.png

Question....who owns the guest cottage and the land it sits on? LOL I would tell the grandchildren to wear ear plugs and their parents to get over it.
gig.gif
I like my Roo crowing.

Never had a capon so I am not sure. Interesting to find out though so I will watch the thread.

I don't have any roos, that I know of yet but I am hoping for one. I just love the sound of a rooster crowing. Ok maybe not a 4 in the morning. lol My neighbors a few houses down have one and I hear him throughout the day. He's a persistant little guy. I ditto the "Who's land and who's guest cottage"

My little silkie roo!!!!---boy-oh-boy---can he let it rip!
Sometime is 1:30am, sometimes its 6:30am 30 times in a row.
I can certainly relate.

True, I do own it, BUT.... The wire mesh coop is 6 feet from their through-the-wall AC unit, which is basically like having a hole through the wall with nothing to block the noise. My grandbabies are only 2 and 4 years old, and sorta need a little bit of sleep. Also, my daughter and husband are living there while working on master's degrees and it would be pretty callous of me to get them all up that early.
sad.png
I don't want them to move, as that would mean dropping out of school!!! Gotta get these kids independent and making money first. After that, I am getting TWO roos! (That might be how I eventually "encourage" them to move on out...)
lol.png

I have 8 roosters that crow all the time and I guess I have just learned to block it out....Their coops are all less than 150 ft. from my bedroom and I never hear them crowing while asleep... my DH on the other hand is always up at daybreak so maybe he hears it
smile.png

I have 9 roosters and all crow but one and I have never heard him crow and he is the same age as all the rest of them

Where did this capon become a capon?!? I have a she cochin that turned out to be a he cochin and was planning on making it into a dinner cochin. But, if castration really is an option, I'd love to figure out how to do it or have it done. Do you have a vet in your area still that does such things??

Thanks!

There is a lady locally (Southern Calf.) who does it for $5 a bird. I think it might be illegal? I don't know. I read about the procedure and it is brutal. But my chicken lady was given several capons and just gave me one when she heard of my rooster saga. Apparently it is done to make the meat tastier? I don't know. I am too wimpy to butcher my birds. He is just an ornamental bird now. I find it hilarious that my hens completely ignore him. My girls will charge the cat, each other, even a pigeon for coming down to have some feed, but they just leave him alone.

Back
Top Bottom