Rooster or Hen? Please help :)

Just did some more research, the white one is a Lohmann Brown, a specially bread chicken to produce large eggs, 1 a day and apparently very friendly so good for kids and as pets. I have definitely noticed that it is a very calm chick, thinks that's partly why my daughter likes it so much. Looking at adult pics their combs can be quite large, even to the point of flopping over...so I think we will have to wait a few more weeks before we know for definite. Thanks all.

Can someone help me i just took this pictures of my chickens and need some help.

my chickens are 2 months old now I have 1 black australorps, 2 pale yellow light sussex and 2 caramel lohmons. i have a gut feeling that the 2 light sussex are rooster by their tails and the fact that they are now fighting and charging at each other. i believe the black one and the lohmons are hens but i would like a second opinion.

Can someone help me i just took this pictures of my chickens and need some help.

my chickens are 2 months old now I have 1 black australorps, 2 pale yellow light sussex and 2 caramel lohmons. i have a gut feeling that the 2 light sussex are rooster by their tails and the fact that they are now fighting and charging at each other. i believe the black one and the lohmons are hens but i would like a second opinion.
I don't see any light Sussex. The 2 white ones (shown in the image above) are red sex link cockerels. The black is also a cockerel. The only 2 pullets I see are the red-brown ones pictured best in your second image.

Last edited:
I don't see any light Sussex. The 2 white ones (shown in the image above) are red sex link cockerels. The black is also a cockerel. The only 2 pullets I see are the red-brown ones pictured best in your second image.

Agreed -- you have red sex links - two cockerels (the white with red) and two pullets (those in the second image) and a mixed breed cockerel (the black) -- Light Sussex look like this:

thanks for this :(| now i am sad that popcorn is a boy :( thou isnt agresive like the white ones :( thanks for this information :)

can you please explain how the black one is a rooster please as i dont see the rooster tail feathers on it. thanks so much :)

can you please explain how the black one is a rooster please as i dont see the rooster tail feathers on it. thanks so much :)
The amount of comb color at just 8 weeks of age along with the red coloring starting to show in the wingbow indicates male.

The amount of comb color at just 8 weeks of age along with the red coloring starting to show in the wingbow indicates male.
x 2 - the feather differences related to sex (hackle, saddle and tail) won't show at this age, but the comb/wattle development and color and overall body coloration that are present are male.

Back
Top Bottom