Rooster or Pullet - 6 week old Blue Laced Red Wyandotte

Harmony Homestead

In the Brooder
May 21, 2017
Hello all. I know that there are several rooster vs. pullet posts here...I've obsessed over many of them. However, I can't decide if we have a BLRW pullet or a rooster. We've only had chicks for about a year and our first accidental rooster was heartbreaking. We had to take "Dorothy" back to the farm once she started crowing. We're in the no rooster city zone. So what do you think? Is Luna the Blue Laced Red below a pullet that we'll get to keep or a rooster that will need to be re-homed? (Radella is the Easter Egger who wanted to be included in the picture taking). They are both six weeks old. - Thanks in advance for your help!
IMG_9196.JPG
IMG_9206.JPG
IMG_9193.JPG

Wyandotte are tricky as pullets pink up earlier than other breeds. Generally you look to the feathering on the back of the neck and shoulder as they color up slightly different. Yours is a bit young yet to be sure either way, give it a few more weeks.

Wyandotte are tricky as pullets pink up earlier than other breeds. Generally you look to the feathering on the back of the neck and shoulder as they color up slightly different. Yours is a bit young yet to be sure either way, give it a few more weeks.
Thanks for the advice! I'm literally on the edge of my seat with this one!

I'm not an expert (nowhere even close!), but I can show you some pictures of my BLRW Cockrell Walter at various ages...
This is about 4 weeks (we still thought he was a girl at this point)
20170331_194623.jpg

Five weeks (started getting suspicious about her/him)
P4070924.JPG

Six weeks (when we decided he was a boy... he just looked like and "acted" like a boy...)
20170414_120249.jpg

Seven weeks
P4270953.JPG
P4270943.JPG

10 weeks (started to get some saddle feathers and turn more of a mahogany color on the wings.
20170517_151031.jpg
20170517_151525.jpg

I don't know if it's true to all males of this breed, but Walter was bigger than all my girls from the get go. (We called him Big Bertha at first). He had bigger legs/feet too.
He still doesn't have the most pronounced comb and wattles, but maybe slow growing combs might be a breed trait...? (My Gold Laced Wyandottes have some pretty good sized combs already...)

From my observations of Wyandotte combs, the roosters seem to have a wide flat comb and the pullets a more narrow ridged comb, but I'm still seeing if it is always so. Your little boy helps to confirm my suspicions.

Back
Top Bottom